Convert from valve diverter to spout diverter?

Users who are viewing this thread

cnr1109

Reaction score
I would like to convert from a center knob valve diverter to a spout diverter without removing/changing the three valve assembly. I currently have a Price Phister three valve tub/shower diverter. Is it possible to achieve this by: 1) Removing the diverter stem 2) Capping the center 3) Replacing the standard tub spout with a diverter tub spout? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The only catch is that you will not find a plug. And how would you trim the hole?

Your best bet if you can get access from the back side of the wall, is to replace the whole valve with a single handle, and use a chrome remodel cover plate to deal with the three holes.

cnr1109

Reaction score
I have spare tiles. If I were to find or fabricate a plug that fits, would this work?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, if you were to have a machine shop turn a plug matching the threads on the diverter stem , and use a good new gasket on it, this would work. It is difficult to make a good tile repair, because the continuity of the moisture barrier behind the tile is broken by that hole. Tile grout is not water proof, and you have to assume that water will get through.

But if you can get a plug made, it is worth a try. Our tile expert friends over at www.johnbridge.com can give you advice on the procedure to make the tile repair.

Wilbour

Reaction score
My inwall diverter is finicky and will stick in one position. I was contemplating doing the same thing but re-install the diverter. It doesn't leak, just refuses to switch between shower and tub. If I leave it in the tub position then theoretically the spout diverter would do the trick.

Reach4

Reaction score
My inwall diverter is finicky and will stick in one position. I was contemplating doing the same thing but re-install the diverter. It doesn't leak, just refuses to switch between shower and tub. If I leave it in the tub position then theoretically the spout diverter would do the trick.
Hold your hand over the spout. If the water then comes out of the shower, then that would work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

There is a large loose plastic washer on the diverter, which if broken won't shift the water. If you pick up a new diverter, you will be in business.

pp_three_handle.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cut off the "washer end" of the spout, then reinstall it. Then you can use the diverter spout although you will probably get water out of the shower head while filling the tub, but that would happen no matter how you capped the center opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks