(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Convert from valve diverter to spout diverter?

Default Convert from valve diverter to spout diverter?

I would like to convert from a center knob valve diverter to a spout diverter without removing/changing the three valve assembly. I currently have a Price Phister three valve tub/shower diverter. Is it possible to achieve this by: 1) Removing the diverter stem 2) Capping the center 3) Replacing the standard tub spout with a diverter tub spout? Thanks.

The only catch is that you will not find a plug. And how would you trim the hole?

Your best bet if you can get access from the back side of the wall, is to replace the whole valve with a single handle, and use a chrome remodel cover plate to deal with the three holes.

I have spare tiles. If I were to find or fabricate a plug that fits, would this work?

Yes, if you were to have a machine shop turn a plug matching the threads on the diverter stem , and use a good new gasket on it, this would work. It is difficult to make a good tile repair, because the continuity of the moisture barrier behind the tile is broken by that hole. Tile grout is not water proof, and you have to assume that water will get through.

But if you can get a plug made, it is worth a try. Our tile expert friends over at www.johnbridge.com can give you advice on the procedure to make the tile repair.

Thanks much for your help.