Question on Bathtub Valve Stem Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

moeronn

Reaction score
The hot water faucet valve stem (PricePfister) in the bathtub was leaking. Note, this was the stem leaking, not leaking through the tub spout.

They turned off the water in my condo complex today, so it was a good time to change out the valve. Well, I replaced it and now the new valve leaks the same way. Are there adjustments that can be made on the stem to stop the leak? I also replaced the seat behind the stem. The water has been turned back on (duh, or I wouldn't know it leaks) so I can't really remove or replace the stem now without calling out the association plumber to turn off the water again.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Have you spoken to PP? I've found in dealing with American Standard and Kohler for my fixtures/faucets that customer service can be excellent.

I've had both companies sending me replacement bits and pieces for free. In fact, my Kohler shower doors arrived scuffed in one or two spots. One phone call and they authorized a full replacement to be provided.

Oh, and they don't want the old kit back. So now I have two complete Kohler shower door kits - lots of spare parts!

moeronn

Reaction score
I haven't called yet, as I usually find forums tend to be a better source of information than the manufacturers ;)

I had a situation similar to yours with Delta and they sent a replacement faucet because they didn't make a $10 part in the right finish anymore. So I will try that route if suggestions from here don't pan out.

moeronn

Reaction score
What is the model of your faucet? Will help with possible suggestions on what might be causing the leak.
I don't have the faucet model number, as it was an existing fixture. But the stem and bonnet are the equivilent of the 910-374 from Price Pfister (it's actually a Danco part).

The leak is coming from between the stem and bonnet

moeronn

Reaction score
Problem solved. It turns out the packing nut wasn't tight enough. Fortunately, the association plumbers were still here and they fixed it - I didn't have the tool for it, only for the stem installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks