Outdoor spa wiring questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MJ32V

Reaction score
Is it a problem (code or otherwise) to locate outdoor hot tub over a 7' run of buried rigid sched 40 PVC conduit? Conduit is buried in 20" of item #4 with unilock paver on top side. Tub is 450 gallon.

Another question... what are min/max distance requirements - from the tub to outlet - for locating 20A GFCI outlet?

Thx...
MJ

KD

Reaction score
I do not see any problem with placing a portable hot tub over a conduit buried over 18 " underground. That is why you bury it.

MJ32V

Reaction score
I was told that there is an exception in 680.10 that allows buried conduit underneath spa as long as that conduit supplies power to spa. Can someone confirm for me?

With respect to GFI duplex, does the 10' min / 20' max distance requirement also specify duplex be line of sight from tub?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I was told that there is an exception in 680.10 that allows buried conduit underneath spa as long as that conduit supplies power to spa. Can someone confirm for me?
Not under the tub but it is allowed closer that 5feet if it supplies the tub.

With respect to GFI duplex, does the 10' min / 20' max distance requirement also specify duplex be line of sight from tub?
No

MJ32V

Reaction score
Hmmm... I see that interpretations may vary on this. Here's 680.10:

680.10 Underground Wiring Location. Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or within the area extending 1.5m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance 1.5 m (5 ft) or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion resistant and suitable for the location. The minimum cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.

Based on the wording, it seems that wiring buried in conduit would be allowed underneath the tub as long as it was the tub's supply. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

MJ

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hmmm... I see that interpretations may vary on this. Here's 680.10:

680.10 Underground Wiring Location. Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or within the area extending 1.5m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance 1.5 m (5 ft) or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion resistant and suitable for the location. The minimum cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.

Based on the wording, it seems that wiring buried in conduit would be allowed underneath the tub as long as it was the tub's supply. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

MJ

What is preventing the branch circuit supplying from being around the perimeter instead of under?

One would be hard pressed to explain away those words in bold above.
To just say that running the conductors under the tub is easier would not be a reason to install then around the tub.

On the other hand it would be better to have the supply panel on the same side the conductors are coming from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks