(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basement plumbing layout

If you do this, you will be in the good books with any Canadian inspector and or Canadian juresdiction. Your sizing of venting and dranage is ok. We generally do not use any 1 1/4" pipe and fittings any more because they are double and triple the money than the 1 1/2". (just a cost factor)

You are allowed to use 1 1/2" for your bathtub drain. 2" is optional. The waste and overflow assembly kit for the bathtub will be 1 1/2" anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by krow; 05-04-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Not a Master Plumber novicepiper's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    If you do this, you will be in the good books with any Canadian inspector and or Canadian juresdiction. Your sizing of venting and dranage is ok. We generally do not use any 1 1/4" pipe and fittings any more because they are double and triple the money than the 1 1/2". (just a cost factor)

You are allowed to use 1 1/2" for your bathtub drain. 2" is optional. The waste and overflow assembly kit for the bathtub will be 1 1/2" anyway
    Cool - thanks Krow - the red pipe in the revision you posted... can that go up straight up, or does it have to be exactly as in your drawing?

- ill start preping everything now and leave that one section until i hear back from you - thanks again

novicepiper

The sketch Krow made is in line with what I was suggesting. I would however, break out some more slab and run the lav drain more direct with fewer elbows and shorter horizontal runs. Both have effects on reliability. 2" is a minimum Dia. under the slab.

As with anything there are a few different ways of doing it. Below is a sketch of what I was saying. I did not show connection details you seem to have a handle on that. Please excuse my rudimentary drawing... What did your program cost? Where is it available?

Last edited by Redwood; 05-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novicepiper View Post
    can that go up straight up, or does it have to be exactly as in your drawing?
    If you can go straight, then do it. It will save you on fittings. The best path from location A to location B, is in a straight line.

Redwood suggested a couple of alternative routes to take, which are just as good. There are many ways to skin a cat lol

If you want to stick with the pic I provided, maybe these slight amendments might suit you better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    The sketch Krow made is in line with what I was suggesting. I would however, break out some more slab and run the lav drain more direct with fewer elbows and shorter horizontal runs. Both have effects on reliability. 2" is a minimum Dia. under the slab.

As with anything there are a few different ways of doing it. Below is a sketch of what I was saying. I did not show connection details you seem to have a handle on that. Please excuse my rudimentary drawing... What did your program cost? Where is it available?

Thanks for all your input Redwood - I believe I referenced you to krow in one of Krows postings you have both been v helpful/useful and patient with my lack of knowledge - so thanks again

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOFTWARE TITLE: 3ds max
    COMPANY: Autodesk
    Price: 3K+ tax depends on what version you buy.

You can download a free trial but if you've not done any 3d before, it prob going to be more work than results - that said i picked it up ok so im sure anyone else can too

Im up for doing visuals if you need any (which i doubt) but the offers there - just let me know.

I don't have the software but I could do you some visuals if you needed!?

thanks

novicepiper
    Last edited by novicepiper; 05-04-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Default thanks

At this juncture, I believe the last image to be complete and final - thanks mainly to Redwood, Krow, Mikey & Jimbo + everyone else too.

If anyone has any questions let me know - once again, a big thanks to you all.

novicepiper

$3K Gulp!

I guess I'll keep the rough ones I'm using...

That last sketch should do well for you!
    It certainly looks a lot simplier than the one you started with huh?

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

So as i understand: and please correct me if im wrong

1) large discharge of water from above could create positive pressure and push air through a p trap below - resulting in bubbles and poopy smells?

2) large discharge of water from below could create negative pressure (vacuum) and suck air from a p trap above - resulting in siphoning and poopy smells?

please see my little diagram-

Q1) whats stops A and B from having positive and negative pressure on the kitchen sink?

Q2) Will C affect any of the above floors?

thanks novicepiper
    a1) proper venting of the kitchen sink
    a2) yes, if the upper floors aren't vented properly.

Here's a simple test I just made up, which a real pro can correct and my feelings won't be hurt: for any fixture, its trap must be vented, and that vent path to open air cannot be affected by anything that can suck or blow. There are special cases (e.g., stack venting) that aren't obvious.
    Last edited by Mikey; 05-04-2008 at 06:15 PM.

I'll accept your simple test.

$3K Gulp!

I guess I'll keep the rough ones I'm using...

That last sketch should do well for you!
    It certainly looks a lot simplier than the one you started with huh?
    Tell me about it (re cost) it's certainly way more advanced than the stuff i did on here - it seems to have achieved its purpose - so thanks for all your help sorting it out --- to look back at what i started with seems a little stoopid now - tad embarrassed, I guess. but there you go.

Thanks again

novicepiper - peace

ok - sorry about this how would I vent the kitchen sink or is it already vented in the main stack? ( going on what i think i have learnt thus far and this willl be really painful for me if im wrong) if the main stack acts as a vent for the kitchen sink will discharge above cause it to siphon the trap or push bubbles through the trap - i guess maybe i should tie it in above the 2nd floor toilet or does it just have to be above the kitchen sink in the main stack?

I did a quick repair on the soil stack (CAST IRON) the other day - this is how this all started out - i replaced 4 ft of cracked stack in the basement and replaced it with ABS 4" I tied the waste into the stack and vented by accident to the 2 inch vent seperate to the stack and now when i flush the toilet on the second floor - there is a heavy thump from below when its about half way down the flush - there are no weird smells or anything it's just really loud when your in the bathroom. like a mini earthquake - any hows, enough of the blah blah - basically i just could do with a quick answer of how, what and where i tie the kitchen sink in re vent - the actual waste will be joing into the 4" stack as per agreed visual earlier - once someone answers this i think im good for the preposal and maybe start it soon

Holy crap - im all typed out now. - that was painful

Thanks again

novice piper
    Last edited by novicepiper; 05-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.

The kitchen sink is probably vented by its own vent and not the stack. Or, tied into the stack above all the drains.

The kitchen sink is probably vented by its own vent and not the stack. Or, tied into the stack above all the drains.
    are you on the computer across from my house or something- or do you have esp - that was seriously quick.

anyhows it sort of made sense to me to vent the sink obove evrything else on that stack. that was also based on mikey's cool explanation too.

thanks for that redwood.

- basically i just could do with a quick answer of how, what and where i tie the kitchen sink in re vent - the actual waste will be joing into the 4" stack as per agreed visual earlier - once someone answers this i think im good for the preposal and maybe start it soon
    It all depends on the location of your kitchen sink p-trap. If the p-trap is located at the end of that pipe, then it needs to be vented above the flood level rim of the sink or above the top of the sink level. I only assumed that the kitchen sink drain extended further up from its current location (As in the pic). Its was hard for me to determine where the next floor starts.