Use the bath outlet on a mixer valve for a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

threedogs

Reaction score
We are redoing our bathroom and will have a separate shower and bathtub. When you enter the shower the valves will be located on a knee wall to the left, with the main shower head straight ahead mounted on a wall and a wand attachment mounted on the wall on the right. The arrangement will allow you to open the door turn and turn on the shower before stepping into the spray from the shower head.

We are going to use Delta faucets and valves. I would like to have the mixer valve (Delta R10000 valve) installed as high as I can get it on the knee wall and have a diverter valve installed below it to then direct the flow to the main shower head, the wand or both. The Delta mixer valve has two outlets one up to feed the shower and one down to feed the tub, if there was one. The shower outlet has what looks like a washer constriction that comes into play when the shower outlet is being used, I would guess it acts to raise the pressure but constrict the flow. So here is my question… can I feed the diverter valve from the outlet that is for the bathtub fill instead on plumbing from the top shower outlet all the way around the valve to feed the diverter valve below? If I do this do I loose any performance?

Do I need to something similar to the constrictor that is on the shower outlet mixer valve at the shower head and wand attachment to raise the pressure coming out of each?

Instead of using a diverter valve, could I also just use an on-off valve located on the same wall as the head and wand to control the two or would that have pressure issues – (I don’t know if the diverter valve acts to balance pressure)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's a flow restrictor. You should be able to use the larger output and run it to your divertor valve. You normally want to fill your tub as fast as possible, today's showerheads are restricted by regulations to 2.5g, so it's not uncommon to use a restrictor. Plug the other output.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks