Question on new cement sealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Recently we had to put in some new cement in our basement because of remodeling purposes and added a drain to our basement. I would like to know if there is a good sealant that would make the cement totally waterproof and just make the water run right off when it go around the drain area. It is sloped and water will not run up the slope to the drain but I want the water that comes from the tankless water heater condensate line and ac line to not creep up along the cement. I don't know how else to explain it. It is not a problem or anything but I just want to seal it if at all possible. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The condensate from a HE burner can be quite acidic...it will eventually damage the concrete...it will disolve the calcium in the concrete, leaving just the sand and aggragate (and maybe not even that, depending on what they used in it).

There are sealers and paints that might help, but probably won' tsolve the problem. I'd consider possibly an epoxy paint. The good ones are not cheap.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
He is referring to the Tankless water heater. The condensate from those units have concentrated exhaust toxins that dramatically increase the acidity of the water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The boiler I have has a condensate pH of about 3.5 (where water is neutral at 7.0 - below neutral is acidic, above is basic). Not sure about your tankless, but I'm sure it is acidic...just not sure how acidic. They may offer an optional neutralizing filter for the condensate output which helps. Just depends on where you are dumping it whether you want to go to the trouble of installing and maintaining one.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may or may not help, but Behr has a product that you brush on concrete and it seals it. At least for regular water. I built a concrete basin around a floor drain for a mop basin. I put a raised slab on one end to set my water heater and I also drain my furnace condensate into it. Problem was, the concrete leaked like a sieve! I got a gallon of that stuff, coated the whole basin, and that was the absolute end of the leaking. I don't recall the name of the stuff, but HD has it. Read the label to see if it will handle the high acid content of the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks