Install drain basket in new acrylic tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do the final setting of my new tub. I was told by the manufacturer that I should use sylicone and not putty on the metal drain flange that mounts in the tub and screws into the PVC drain.

This sound very permanent so I want to get it right.

Do I need anything on the metal threads of the basket that screw into the PVC pipe?

There is a foam rubber gasket that goes underneath the tub, between the tub and the PVC pipe. Does this need any sealant on it? Or is this just to snug the fitting up to the uneven surface of the tub?

Thanks!

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
RSmith99 said:
Do I need anything on the metal threads of the basket that screw into the PVC pipe?

No.

There is a foam rubber gasket that goes underneath the tub, between the tub and the PVC pipe. Does this need any sealant on it? Or is this just to snug the fitting up to the uneven surface of the tub?

The rubber is crushed slightly to keep tension on the seal above. No sealant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks