Basement plumbing, layout & third floor waste stack HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
:) Hello - Could someone please look at the attached image and let me know what you think (its my first attempt at this). Any advice, giudes etc are warmly received.

Room Dimensions - 9'ish x 5'ish

Main stack to red vertical vent pipe = 59"
Main Stack to Proposed wc pipe = 48"

I'm trying to achieve:

Basement A - plumb wc, vanity sink and tub into the basement. I have added the wye in the image to the 4" main horizontal stack. is this the right size 4" and placement?

Third Floor B - Secondly I need to include a 3" ABS vertical pipe to the third floor in preperation for the new bathroom in the future (inc tub, vanity sink & toilet) is this the right size pipe placement and linkage?

(NOTE) the tub pipe/location is not shown - however, the the location would run parallel to the right wall as you look at the image.

Finally - how would I tie in the orange and yellow pipe to the main blue pipe + I was told you can only use PVC below grade and everything else aobve grade is ABS - though some people say you should stick with the same material (Canada)?

I hope that makes sense I will re post new image with inclusions of any cool advice given.

thank you for your time and professionaisn in this matter

novicepiper :confused:

PS i forgot to mention I was thinking of increasing the vertical orange pipe tp 2" to accomodate the venting of the kitchen sink and the basement vanity sink - could i do that/ would that work?

Attachments

• BASEMENT.jpg
    BASEMENT.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 49,694
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Reply to Jimbo 1

Hi Jimbo Thanks for looking at this for me - please find attached NEW image showing the tub placement with added explanation for orange pipe and basement fixture venting.
the orange pipe was originally tied into the blue pipe.....i have not touched the plumbing as yet - this is more of a plan and info exercise to help me understand a little more abuot venting etc

ps if anyone else would be kind enough to look at this, that would be awesome

thanks

novice plumber

& i will be posting a couple more images re tub placement in around ten mins from now.

Attachments

• BASEMENT_R1.jpg
    BASEMENT_R1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 25,253
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
close up of tub pipe, main stack and proposed 3" 3rd floor pipe

im not too sure on the linkage of the green pipe to the blue - I used 4x4x3 wye 45 and 90 elbow (cant seem to find a sweep).... could i just use a 45 from the vertical green pipe and run it straight into the 4x4x3 wye? (this exceeds the pitch of 1/4 per ft or 1/8 per ft)?

still not too sure on how to link the yellow and orange pipe to the blue pipe

thanks for any advice given - greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• Tub_txt.jpg
    Tub_txt.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 19,852
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I moved this threas up to the plumbing section so we could see all your diagrams in one spot. It confuses the issue when you get multiple threads going on the same subject.

Jim

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I moved this threas up to the plumbing section so we could see all your diagrams in one spot. It confuses the issue when you get multiple threads going on the same subject.

Jim

Thanks Jim - im not too sure how to sort threads out as yet - i would have just deleted this since the new configuration has slightly changed - thanks again

novicepiper

hayduke2

Reaction score
Nice Drawing

What program did you use the draw the pipeing....
I am working on a similar problem and need to work on my drawings.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In his other thread he posted this info about the software he used...

SOFTWARE TITLE: 3ds max
COMPANY: Autodesk
Price: 3K+ tax depends on what version you buy.

You can download a free trial but if you've not done any 3d before, it prob going to be more work than results

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

1. The toilet is not vented, and the third floor bathroom will create a big problem for it until it is vented.
2. The overflow for the tub does not connect to the trap's vent.
3. The intermediate vent on the line to the lavatory is doing nothing and is not needed.
4. There are many ways to make the final connections. Which one is "best" will be determined by exactly how much space you have to do it.

joebartolucci

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, I wish I would have found this site some time ago. I just installed my DWV system in my home and think I went over board with vents :)! If I may ask, where can I get this drawing software that is used in this thread. I sure can use it for my water system that I will be installing shortly.
Please foregive me for the re-direction and thanks again for your time.
Joe

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't say you went overboard with vents. This thread, which died out without apparent final feedback....he never did show us ANY vents for the basement bathroom.....BAD!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually the other thread I believe ended up being shown with all the vents.
I believe post #8 above shows the software he used.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually the other thread I believe ended up being shown with all the vents.
I believe post #8 above shows the software he used.

Software was 3dsmax and I honestly thought after all the excellent advice on here I received re bathroom layout; bathroom venting and entire Drains, waste and venting were correct as redwood mentioned regarding other thread posting.

Well before I finshed all the work: I had Pro come over and look at it, some small mods. He said what I had done would work famously and I have had no issues at all with any floor in the house....no smells everthing works well strong flushes no blockages....only 2 minor things still persist.

I can`t seem to figure out the ball cock in the back of the basement toilet..I always seem to overflow the toilet (probably 1 inch of extra water in the toilet)via cistern when refilling. I`ve tried adjusting the vertival nut and extending.retracting the arm but what ever i do after a few days it just goes back to overflowing a little or not enough water fills...that`s just plain weird I thought...!?

the other issue is a smal gurgle when the second floor toilet flushes - seems to happen mid empty flush - I dont have any leaks and all the venting was appoved by this pro guy (which is also a friend) anyways that aside as long as the gurgle is not an issue evrything is champion...

ps any ideas what could be causing ther gurgle (i yhough it may be an air leak on the seal of the toilet or something)(ocassionally i get a little water around the base)in the second floor toilet mid flush?

thank all as always

novice piper :)

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad fill valve... Replace it with a Fluidmaster 400A.
And your other problem sounds like a bad seal on the wax ring.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad fill valve... Replace it with a Fluidmaster 400A.
And your other problem sounds like a bad seal on the wax ring.

thanks and thanks

Ill replace both over next couple of days. athnks again for all your continued support through this reno :) - nice to know there still decent people about ;)

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Replaced the wax ring - gave the bottom of the toilet and the flange a good clean (spotless) replaced the toilet and the sound is still there - no more leaks though..

the valve I replaced and all is good there now - any other ideas regarding the 'gurgling'?

Many thanks as always - Also started another thread since this seems to be a common problem....

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
What did the inspector say about the rough-in when he looked at it?

it was all good thanks to you guys. I just had to change two minor things and we were good to go - as i said - i cant recall if the toilet made a noise before. if i hold my hand down on the flush for the entire duratiojn of the 'flush' - the basement toilet makes no sound now at all 'eveything sounds normal' - the toilet upstairs which has never been touched etc is the problem - and as i said i dont know if the upstairs toilet made the noise before any of the work downstairs... is there any chance that the upstairs toilet is just past its day? Its been suggested that there could be a blockage in the main line.....maybe need an auger. before they auger (if thats what i need to do) do they video it first to locate any obstructions or do they just auger it?

thanks again

novicepiper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks