Insulating PEX hot water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Brutag

Reaction score
Adding a major addition to my house (in Seattle) and replacing all the old galvanized with PEX.

Interesting thing on insulation of the hot water supply lines. THe local plumbing regulations don't specifically require insulation. However, the Seattle Energy Code does. Requires 1" nominal thickness insulation for 1/2" nominal pipe.

A local plumber told me this insulation actually has to penetrate thru the studs. Does this make sense? Seems like this would be ok for 2x5 walls but would compromise existing 2x4 walls.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
A lot of things in Seattle don't make sense. The current Mayor is a loon in my opinion.

I moved out of Seattle (and King County) more than 30 years ago and vowed that I would never move back. I still feel that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks