Help with rough plumbing...

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffreypca

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Do I need a seperate vent for the toilet or can I use the sink and shower vents if drains are connected to toilet pipe with in 3 feet from toilet??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One vent to roof for a bathroom group would not be at all unusual. We would need to see a pic or a diagram to comment on whether everything is actually hooked up right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your question is so vague that the answer has to be YES, NO, or MAYBE. HOW it is done will determine the answer, not how close it is to the toilet.

jeffreypca

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Will the 2 vents from the sink and shower work for the toilet too?

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The location is irrelevant, each fixture needs it's own connection to the vent, and it must be vented out the roof. Now, if you can connect to an existing vent, you may not need a separate, independent one. That connection needs to be done at least 42" above the highest drain connecting to that vent line (well, it's 6" above the flood line, but 42" is a good general height - typical kitchen sink height 36" + 6").

jeffreypca

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
so, length of the vent pipe doesn't matter? I might be able to connect into the stack, then no need to make another hole in roof.

Last edited:

Bombjay

Reaction score
Do you have at least 1 full sized (In your case 3") vent stack going out anyplace?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a limit on how long the vertical verses horizontal parts of the vent can be, and the horizontal runs should still have slope to them so condensation, rain, etc., can flow back down and not end up plugging the vent. But yes, all of the vents from the individual fixtures can be combined if done properly so you only need one vent exiting the roof. The size of the aggragate vent would depend on the number of fixture units.

jeffreypca

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
So, can I used the main 4" stack for the vent?

How big of vent for 3 1 1/2" vents?? Sink, Shower & Washer

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It's not clear where the 4" stack is. I guess the question is -- is that wet venting as shown, and can the toilet be wet vented like that? My initial reaction is no for a couple of reasons, but a pro can probably find a way to make it work... isn't there a closet bend fitting that would allow a vent behind the toilet? Also, that 1 1/2" drain for the washer looks a little skimpy.

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I indicated in a green enclosure the changes that I made to your drawing to make it right

Attachments

• Scan0002.JPG
    Scan0002.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 417

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is a basic elevation view of what your plan view may look like

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 424

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Many places the washer line would have to be 2" and cannot have anything else on it.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Many places the washer line would have to be 2" and cannot have anything else on it.
I'm sorry my bad. I missed the washing machine. Here is a revision

keep the washing machine drain as far as you can from the WC and bathtub so that the suds don't back up into them (my preference)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 335

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score

Down here washing machines must now be on a 3" line up to the tee. 2" vent above.

To the OP, where are you located? Location means everything in the world when dealing with codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks