Sewer Gas Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Ewstan

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a toilet installed on a tile over concrete floor. The flange is approx 1/4" above the tile. The floor is reasonably flat requiring slight shimming, 1/8", at front and right front. After installation the toilet is level and does not rock.

Over the past 10 years I have reset the toilet at least six times due to sewer gas leaks. The gas leak can return anywhere from two years to six months after resetting.

I have used all thicknesses of wax seals, seals with and without horns, seals with and without foam. It's almost as if overpressure in the vent system is blowing out the wax seal, although I don't see how that's possible.

Today I'm going to try the slip joint/rubber O-ring seal, but have little confidence that it will work.

I don't see any problem with the toilet horn and the bottom of the toilet is flat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ewstan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Agressive use of a plunger can blow out a wax seal. Is the flange sitting tight to the finished floor? About 1/4" is the typical height of the flange itself, but if it has a gap underneath of 1/4", that could easily be your problem. Many modern toilets will not seat on a flange that high if there is a gap underneath. If yours does, there's very little if any wax making the seal (but it would be hard to blow it out!).

Do you have frequent clogs requiring the use of a plunger? I have several of the Fluidmaster waxless seals, and they've worked for me.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Are you double bolting the closet bolts, once to the flange and then once to the toilet, using your bolt caps and caulking???

This must be because of improper installation, if the flange is 1/4" above the tile, it is proper, and wax is the only sure thing to work.

Fluidmaster has some extending piece of crap out there ont he market, don't use it;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

The Fluidmaster is pushed onto the horn of the bowl first.

Ewstan

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a toilet installed on a tile over concrete floor. The flange is approx 1/4" above the tile. The floor is reasonably flat requiring slight shimming, 1/8", at front and right front. After installation the toilet is level and does not rock.

Over the past 10 years I have reset the toilet at least six times due to sewer gas leaks. The gas leak can return anywhere from two years to six months after resetting.
To add more info:

I removed the toilet and noticed that the wax ring was not stuck to the toilet and that the top of the wax was wet.

I cleaned the wax from the flange and, not sure why I never noticed this before, discovered that the ABS pipe in the concrete is not vertical. Consequently, the flange glued to the pipe is not level. The left/left front is approx 1/4" lower than the right/right rear.

Is there a flange that's adjustable for level? Or should I try two wax seals to try to compensate for the off level flange?

Thanks,
ewstan

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Try a double wax ring, or the waxless. Are you sure the tilet is not hitting the flange and that is what is causing it to not sit level? If that is the case, you need to fix it, but the waxless probably would work.

the toilet flange should be sitting on TOP of the finished floor with NO gaps under it.

Ewstan

Reaction score
I've had one of the Fluidmaster waxless seals for a couple of years and decided dry fit it to the off-vertical pipe. It appeared to be able to compensate for the slight off-vertical pipe while maintaining a good seal in the pipe and at the toilet horn.

So I installed it, slightly shimmed the toilet and bolted it down. No gas smell now, but I'm going to let it sit overnight before putting the tank on. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks,
ewstan

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I assume you put some water in the bowl, or you did not cap it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks