need help identifying a tool

Users who are viewing this thread

R_2016

Reaction score
Hi, I work in the electrical field with indicator panels that use series of light bulbs to make numbers, kind of what you might see at a baseball game. A coworker of mine has a tool that he uses to remove light bulbs where the globe has broken out and there is just the base in the socket. The tool looks like a pair of pliers but when you squeeze the handle the tip spreads apart instead of clamping. Does onyone know what this tool is?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It's a Broken Light Bulb Removal tool.

http://www.drillout.com/easeout/

Never seen one of those, but there are a number of hand tools designed that way -- circlip spreader tool comes to mind:

circlip tool.gif

While rummaging around the Web, I found a number of people recommending a potato as a fine broken light bulb removal tool. Just push the (raw) potato into the remains of the bulb base and twist.

Removing the bulb is made easier if, in the first place, you squirt a lubricant on the bulb base before screwing it in. I use a spray designed for lubricating aluminum, but WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil work pretty well.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks