(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Drake EL versus SL toilet

Question Toto Drake EL versus SL toilet

Boy, they keep making this more difficult! After reading all the stuff about toilets on this forum, I decided the Toto Drake CST744SL was for me. So I called a couple supply places, and found out that there are TWO ADA height Toto Drake models...the CST744SL and the CST744EL. They cost the same, but here in CA they will rebate me up to $175 if I get the EL. The EL has a 1.28 gal tank (getting smaller and smaller!). Has anyone tried out this super efficient toilet, and does it work as well as the SL, with the 1.6 gal tank? The sales person told me that the EL model has two settings for the flush, one uses more water...you choose the one to use each time. Anyone tried this, and does the EL work as well as the SL, or should I just forget about the rebate and get the one with more water? I love this site, and will wait until I get some feedback before deciding...

thanks
    decalgal

WaterSense Toilets for Los Angeles and the Seattle Area
    Last edited by Terry; 02-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Search on Eco-drake...people that have them like them. Any modern toilet will waste more water if you hold the handle down, so you could call that a two-stage flush. Now, there are some flush valves that actually do have a two stage flush, the Toto Aquia is one of them.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decalgal View Post
    here in CA they will rebate me up to $175 if I get the EL
    Talk about a no-brainer...

Default One more question about the Drake - water line position

After reading all the reviews, I ran across something else. I measured the trap distance on the existing toilet, 12", perfect. Then there was something about the incoming water line...mine is 7" to the left of center, and 5" up from the floor. The diagram for Toto indicates we need it to be 8" up from the floor, 6" left of center. Can't we just get a longer water line to reach? Is the water line for the Toto a universal size (the connection to the toilet end)? Someone mentioned having to rip out the wall to reinstall the water line at the correct height....is that possibly correct? Seems pretty drastic.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Some of the Toto toilets have a skirt which makes them wider at the rear down low than more traditionally styled toilets. This means that the water supply would be stuck behind the toilet, making it difficult or impossible to shut off. Having it further away from the centerline should not be a problem. The fill valve uses standard parts, so yes, you should be able to use a longer version of the hose, if required. They seem to come in lengths at about 4" increments up to 20" or so.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is not much difference between the SL and the EL ADA Drakes in performance.

I would go for the rebate.

Wink Interesting info on those Toto Drake toilets

I talked to a wholesaler for Toto. He says it is a great toilet. I asked him about the difference between the 1.28 and the 1.6 gal. He told me that Toto started making the smaller tank for the Drake YEARS ago, before there were specification requirements for low-flow. Their tank is actually 1.4 gals. Since the low flow specs read "1.6 gals" they just called that model a 1.6 gallon model. So when the ECO low flow came out at 1.28 gallons, the actual difference is much smaller than you would expect....only .12 gallons (less than 2 cups). That is why the ECO Drake flushes pretty much the same as the Standard Drake! And yes, I am definitely going with the ECO and the rebate! Also pleasantly surprised to discover that the Drake (both ECO and standard are same price) is a very reasonably priced unit! It's a win-win-win situation!

I love your site!
    decalgal