(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: My Pex install

Default My Pex install

How is this for a nice clean PEX install? Not quite complete, but getting there. The home build is taking forever as I am the the homeowner, builder, and all the tradesmen.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jay

Looks very nice. Is that a tankless water heater above the manifold?

Very neat. Good job with the pex elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
    Looks very nice. Is that a tankless water heater above the manifold?

Yes. It is a Takagi TK-3.

I will post more pics as I finish the install. Its hard to get pics of the full utility closet as it is in a hallway.
    Last edited by cybervex; 04-30-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Jay

Jay, very nice job.

Where are you putting the water treatment; like at least a water softener? Especially when you have a tankless water heater.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Jay, very nice job.

Where are you putting the water treatment; like at least a water softener? Especially when you have a tankless water heater.
    Do I need water treatment for city water? I am going to put a filter in the kitchen for the water/icemaker and maybe something at the sink. In my current home, which happens to be on the same block, we have no water treatment.

Jay

Thanks for the compliments so far!

Not to bad for an IT Systems Administrator, if I do say so myself.

Jay

I am sure Gary will say to test the water first....But you may want that softener if you use a tankless, just to be sure...they have a nasty habit of clogging with whatever minerals may be in the water, reducing efficiency and pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Squ1rrel View Post
    I am sure Gary will say to test the water first....But you may want that softener if you use a tankless, just to be sure...they have a nasty habit of clogging with whatever minerals may be in the water, reducing efficiency and pressure.
    I did buy the isolation valves so that I will be able to clean it as needed.

Jay

Find the water company's web site and then their Water Quality Report and then hardness or total hardness. If they don't list hardness call them. Use the maximum figure and divide it by 17.1 to convert ppm or mg/l to gpg. If there is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness your tankless water heater warranty may be voided or not but, it won't work well for very long due to hardness scale build up. It is a very rare city water system that doesn't have enough hardness to justify a softener; that is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness. And there is no filter that will remove hardness and you don't need a filter if your water is always clear. There is no sense in filtering visibly clear water, is there?

I sell softeners all over the US and find hardness in the mid 20 gpg frequently with some in the high 30s or higher in certain places.

I have installed many softeners etc. in confined spaces and can tell you that you will have a tough time getting one to fit that small hall closet. So think on installing on the main before the manifold somewhere else. Like in the garage or outside if your area doesn't have hard freezing weather.

BTW, to clean a tankless takes acid IF the coil is metal it can be damaged with only a few cleanings. It is not much fun and can be needed very frequently if the water is hard.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.