drain attachment question - newbie

Users who are viewing this thread

nonPlumber

Reaction score
I just replaced a bathroom faucet and had an issue with attaching the drain. The big hose you see is from my air conditioner, so I added that PVC tee piece (original tailpiece was metal and had a metal tee, wouldn't work with popup assembly from new faucet). What you see in the pitcher and in the second pic is the multiple sections of pipe from the P-trap to the drain in the wall.

After I got everything put back together I ran the water for a few min and I eventually got a couple of drops leaking from where the last piece met the wall drain. When I loosened the nuts on the P-trap sections to try to get everything to fit better, that entire section fell off the wall. I'm trying to figure out what to use to seal that last section since it's not threaded, and if I need to be using anything beyond just the washers to seal the locknuts.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

nonPlumber

Reaction score
PVC cement IS meant to be permanent.

Seems like it may have never been on there at all; it can just be pulled on/off the joint. The only reason I hesitate to cement it on there is that the cold water valve hits the pipe when it's in place so I think I may be better off adding a straight section to give more clearance.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
It should have a "trap adapter" glued on and the the appropriate fittings used to connect to the trap.

A trap adapter is a fitting that has the correct thread and nut on the outboard end to allow the slip fitting of a trap arm.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

It was never glued on in the first place. If the valve handle hits the fitting, it will also hit any extension pipe you install, especially since the coupling you would have to use is the same size as that elbow.

nonPlumber

Reaction score
I re-loosened all locknuts, pressed the last piece on the drain tight, and it now clears the valve fine and also has not leaked a drop with 4min of continuous water (including filling up the sink and letting it all drain at once). This should be fine for the next few days until I can get someone to seal it permanently. I checked my other 2 sinks and they had threaded sections at the wall so those faucet replacements should be much easier. Thanks for everyone's help.

nonPlumber

Reaction score
just never used the primer/cement stuff - seems like there's little/no room for error - i don't mean calling someone out for service, just getting a buddy to come over that has used it before.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nothing to it! Swab on the primer/cleaner, on both sides of the joint, then swab on the cement. push together while twisting, hold it while it sets... Done!

I recommend using clear primer/cleaner... That purple primer makes a mean stain wherever it drips!

I have to use purple the inspector wants to see it. You don't have to! But you do have to take both steps to get a good connection.

nonPlumber

Reaction score
just picked some up during lunch - seems easy enough - got the purple so I'll put down some paper towels - thanks for the tip

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks