Old Eljer Silette

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
This photo below is a toilet that was installed in my mother's home in 1980. (Yes, 28 years ago!) It is an Eljer Silette model. The problem with the toilet is that it will not stop filling. Only when I lift up on the float ball will it stop filling. I think the plunger in the float valve is worn out. Please note several things:

- When the photo was taken, I had already removed the float rod, float ball, refill tube and flap. I know those need to be put back in for the toilet to work. :D

- See the float valve cap? Notice that it has four screws (not three). Also notice that the place where the float rod screws into the cap is off-center. It is not centered between the two screws. The rod hole is closer to the back wall of the tank so that the float has room to move up and down once the rod is screwed in. The refill tube attaches to that hole in the top of the cap (not the side of the cap or valve).

I have researched Eljer parts thoroghly on the internet and I am 99% certain that the fill valve in the toilet is not an Eljer. My Dad was a heck of a make-things-work guy and I think he used a Briggs. The Eljer "recommended" fill valve for this toilet has a diverter assembly and this one installed in the toilet (and working fine for the last 10+ years) has no diverter. Dad is gone now, so can't ask him, at least not directly! :)

The obvious thing would be to replace the whole ballcock/float/fill valve but unfortunately, a standard fill valve will not fit in this tank! From bottom to top (measured inside of tank), the float valve is only 8 1/2 inches tall. A standard one will not fit. Briggs makes/made several low-profile toilets and I think that is how my Dad happened upon a Briggs float valve and how it got installed in that toilet.

I took the cap (bonnet) off of the float valve by removing the four screws. I pulled out the plunger and diaphragm. I need a new plunger. The ones sold at Home Depot and Lowes do not match. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a Briggs float valve and can you tell me where I can buy a replacement plunger? The Eljer part goes for $55-60 so I am trying to avoid that if I can - especially since I am fairly certain that all I need is a new plunger. (Oh, and yeah, I did replace the diaphragm.)

Thank you so much for your help!

Carol

Attachments

• 3 Inside.jpg
    3 Inside.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,038
  • 1 Outside.jpg
    1 Outside.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,128
  • 2 Outside.jpg
    2 Outside.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,631
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like you could use a standard fill valve assembly - tear the old one out, screw a new one in place, adjust it for proper fill height and you're done. I'd replace the supply hose at the same time and maybe the shutoff valve. Cost for everything is probably less than $25. Korky and Fluidmaster are two of the big fill valve manufacturers. The Fluidmaster tends to shut off quicker which can make the pipes bang if they aren't anchored properly. All of these parts are readily available in a big box store or any plumbing supply house.

But, the toilet you have probably uses 5-6 gallons with each flush...you may get a rebate to put in a new one. The newest use around 1.28 gallons per flush, and if you pick one with good performance, will work as well or better.

Cfipp

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could use one of those but I don't think it is possible. Will the Fluidmaster 400A or 400LS adjust to less than 8 1/2" tall (inside-tank measurement) so that I can get the tank lid on? It seems like that was the first thing I checked but now I don't remember for sure.

Thanks!
Carol

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The Fluidmaster 400A is 9" tall, they say. Are you sure the bottom-of-tank to bottom-of-lid dimension is only 8 1/2"?

Maybe someone can comment on what the Toto Pacifica one-piece toilet uses for a fill valve -- that looks to be a low-profile similar to yours:

It would sure be a nice replacement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Both of those mentioned fill valves adjust in height...I do not know their minimum heights. You should be able to measure them fairly easily in the store, or check the manufacturer's websites to see if they have detailed specs. If you are paying for water and sewer, a new toilet, especially in some places where they are offering rebates, makes a new toilet a good choice for both you and the environment.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you think it would not be possible to install a new low flow toilet to replace this antique? I see nothing in the photos that would be a problem. A Toto Drake would be a good replacement, especially if you can get a rebate.

Cfipp

Reaction score
Mikey and Jim, a 9" fill valve is too tall. Will not fit.

Gary, my apologies - my reply to Jim was misleading. It is the fill/float valve that will not fit, not a replacement toilet. I'm sorry.

Anyone know if that is a Briggs float valve? Anyone know who manufactures(d) 4-screw float valves?

Thanks!
Carol

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I didn't see a dimension on the Korky website...anyone know how low it will go?

eljer-briggs-tank-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cfipp

Reaction score
Mom and I went to the local plumbing supply yesterday and purchased an 8" float valve similar to the one installed. I purchased the whole float valve as they did not have a plunger to match the old one. Went to Mom's to install. Had a terrible time getting the old float valve disconnected from the supply line.... I have read many times before that that is the hardest part. It is. :( I decided to come home and think about it for awhile (like that will help!)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Sorry this is so (and too) late, but Korky's customer service took a while to answer my enquiry. Anyway, their 528 Korky QuietFill can be compacted to a height of 7.75". About $10. May in fact be what you've got.

528-Box.jpg

normsuss

Reaction score
That may be the wrong part!

I just found your post. If you are still having problems with the Silette, this will help.
That ballcock in your picture may be the wrong part if it doesn't have a large, clear plastic bowl fill tube. The correct plastic replacement is Eljer part no.: 495-0250-00. The large fill tube is necessary because of the design of the Silette. I'm including a picture of the correct ballcock, and also one of a repair kit (only if you have the correct Eljer ballcock in the toilet). I found it at for $38.96 plus (reasonable) shipping. This was the best price I found. I used google, and searched for Eljer 495-0250-00. You can do a search to see if you can get a better price. I hope this reply isn't too late to help you.

Norm
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mom and I went to the local plumbing supply yesterday and purchased an 8" float valve similar to the one installed. I purchased the whole float valve as they did not have a plunger to match the old one. Went to Mom's to install. Had a terrible time getting the old float valve disconnected from the supply line.... I have read many times before that that is the hardest part. It is. :( I decided to come home and think about it for awhile (like that will help!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks