Jet pump unable to build pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

cottager

Reaction score
I have recently opened my cottage after having it winterized. As I proceeded to turn on the water I discovered a problem with the pump system.
It was labouring at 20psi and would not shut off. if I turned it off, opened the taps and then tried again I got lucky on a couple occasions where it would quickly reach 50 psi.

Background:
Sandpoint well - located on waterfront property.
GE Jet Pump (Red Jacket) 1/2 HP
approx 20lbs galvanized tank

In the fall I drained the water out of the tank, and then pumped RV antifreeze into the lines to prevent any freezing of remaining water.

I have heard that the problem could be several things ranging from a blockage in the sandpoint (put tablets in it), to a waterlogged tank (common for galvanized-non bladder tanks), or something with the pump itself.

Last year I installed a hotwater tank (whats a cottage without hot water right) and thought I needed to increase the tank pressure from 40-50 psi. It was fine all season, but could that have caused an issue?

Appreciate any guidance

Speedbump

Reaction score
It sounds like you have some mineral getting into the nozzle in the jet. You were lucky that it ever built up to 50 after getting plugged the first time. If the pump is old, and the well has Sulphur or Iron the inside of the pump is probably coated with scale. One little piece the size of the top of a pencil can plug the jet and cut it's pressure in half. If you want to venture into opening up the pump housing to see the condition of it, and it looks like I described a new pump would be your best plan. Once a jet starts plugging, there is only going to be future events.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A water logged pressure tank can not cause a pump to not build pressure. It causes the pressure to raise very quickly and shut off the pump or range between cut in and out going on/off on/off within a second or two IF you are using water.

Did you prime the pump correctly? If not that might cause your symptoms too. Or if it won't hold prime; that means a leak from the pump back to and down the well to the foot valve.

cottager

Reaction score
It sounds like you have some mineral getting into the nozzle in the jet. You were lucky that it ever built up to 50 after getting plugged the first time. If the pump is old, and the well has Sulphur or Iron the inside of the pump is probably coated with scale. One little piece the size of the top of a pencil can plug the jet and cut it's pressure in half. If you want to venture into opening up the pump housing to see the condition of it, and it looks like I described a new pump would be your best plan. Once a jet starts plugging, there is only going to be future events.
bob...

Can the pump be cleaned/serviced - rather than completly replacing?
If indeed the pump is 'done', is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

Appreciate your advice

Last edited by a moderator:

cottager

Reaction score
A water logged pressure tank can not cause a pump to not build pressure. It causes the pressure to raise very quickly and shut off the pump or range between cut in and out going on/off on/off within a second or two IF you are using water.

Did you prime the pump correctly? If not that might cause your symptoms too. Or if it won't hold prime; that means a leak from the pump back to and down the well to the foot valve.

You might be onto something here as to 'priming it correctly' . The nut that usually comes off to prime is rusted shut - so I couldn't open it up and prime correctly. I simply started it up and away she went.
Assuming I can get it opened ( I picked up a can of liquid wrench and got myself a much better wrench + torch) what are the correct steps to prime?

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
There is no easy way to clean a pump that is encrusted with mineral. And you probably would never get it all off.

No there is no way of preventing it from happening again short of changing over to a submersible.

bob...

cottager

Reaction score
problem resolved

Thanks to all that provided great advice.
After spending hours - the better part of the weekend...
I learned that I had not primed it adequately - rather didn't prime it all all which was partially to blame. The second problem I realized was that it wasn't holding the prime and I found that a six inch length of pipe or the connection right after the check valve was leaking.. thus the prime lose within ten minutes.

I might also be experiencing a problem with a sandpoint that is getting clogged with minerals - thus the pressure not as good as it could be - but it is manageable for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks