Help provide flooring for Guatemala families

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

I don’t normally do something like this, but after visiting Travis and Carisa in Guatemala last year, and seeing the living conditions for some of the people there, this makes sense. Travis and Carisa agreed to teach in Guatemala for two years, and before they leave for their home in the US, they are putting together a project to help those that could use our help. Here is the letter they sent.

Dear Friends and Family,
Next month Travis and I have a wonderful opportunity to help a few families here in Guatemala. We will be going to Zona 3 in Guatemala city, which is a very poor part of the city to pour concrete floors for two Guatemalan families. Many families living in this area of Guatemala live under sticks with blankets set up as a tent. Others whom are lucky enough to have a 'house' in this area live in houses made out of thin, often scrap metal with dirt floors. Travis and I along with a group of other teachers from our school will be pouring concrete so the families will not have to live and sleep in the dirt. The cost of the floors for each house is $200.
Carisa

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Don't believe him Terry. (check's in the mail) I paid by debit card. :D

(i couldn't resist jim, it was too much to ask) lol.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
guatemala_2girls.jpg

We've been getting checks and cards.
I've been forwarding over the money from the cards to Briana.
It's going to be pretty cool.
Wages in Guatemala are so different than from here.
There, if you aren't in the middle class, you would be doing good to make $180 for the entire month.
They are very happy, but it's a shock when you travel there.
One year, I was traveling from Belize to Guatemala and driving along a main river. I would see whole families doing their wash and bathing in the river as we drove by.
some of the homes were made with things they had found along the road that had fallen off of trucks, and put together to form a shelter.
Carisa and Travis have two sons of their own, 3 and 5, it's interesting that they are fluent in English and Spanish.
I have a hard time with English.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you to all those of you who contributed funds to help build concrete floors for two families in Guatemala City. The build was a great success, and not only helped to improve living conditions, but also helped to form crucial bonds between these families in need and the Vida Joven organization which can help provide continued support for those needs. So great was your generosity that extra money was raised and was donated to a scholarship fund that will allow four Guatemalan children to continue to attend school for another year. Your donations were greatly appreciated and were a vital part of the project's success. Muchas Gracias a todos y que Dios los bendiga! Please folow the link to the attached folder to see photos from the project.

- Carisa

Slide show of pictures

Travis is in the blue shirt and hat

870321188111_0_BG.jpg
229641188111_0_BG.jpg
426831188111_0_BG.jpg
553531188111_0_ALB.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you to all those of you who contributed funds to help build concrete floors for two families in Guatemala City. The build was a great success, and not only helped to improve living conditions, but also helped to form crucial bonds between these families in need and the Vida Joven organization which can help provide continued support for those needs. So great was your generosity that extra money was raised and was donated to a scholarship fund that will allow four Guatemalan children to continue to attend school for another year. Your donations were greatly appreciated and were a vital part of the project's success. Muchas Gracias a todos y que Dios los bendiga! Please folow the link to the attached folder to see photos from the project.
- Carisa

Slide Show of pictures

Carisa is in the yellow shirt

489601188111_0_ALB.jpg
805821188111_0_BG.jpg
607121188111_0_BG_copy.jpg
546121188111_0_BG_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks