Electrical breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Marinelli44

Reaction score
I recently replaced an electric water heater with a new one.
The old water heater had 4500 watt elements on a two pole 30 amp breaker
The new water heater has 5500 watt elements. the problem is periodically the breaker in the panel is tripping. Acording to the water heater specs the amperage should only be 22.9. Is it a problem if I replace the 30 amp breaker with a 40 amp breaker. I would run new # 8 wire to the water heater or should i just replace the existing 30 amp breaker with a new one.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Something is wrong somewhere. Upgrading the circuit will likely fix this but it will only mask the real problem.
A 30A breaker is fine for a 5500w water heater, and should NOT be tripping on that load.

Replacing the 30A breaker would be an easy and cheap place to start.

Marinelli44

Reaction score
Electrical Wire

I replaced the 30 amp breaker with a new one. I'll see what happens.
It appears the wire is #12 wire. Could this cause the breaker to trip

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
I replaced the 30 amp breaker with a new one. I'll see what happens.
It appears the wire is #12 wire. Could this cause the breaker to trip

now that is the issue with #12 wire with 30 amp breaker and with 5500 watts running thru it and 5500watts @ 240 volts = 22.9 amps IMO it pretty light with this wire size it will be wiser to bump up to #10 wire and while you are at it if your water heater is not in the sight of breaker box [ if the water heater is in diffrent room or divided then you have a disconnect switch next to the waterheater.

Merci,Marc

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
DO NOT USE a 30A breaker on the #12 wire unless you want to remodel your house due to a fire.

You may also be attending the funeral of a loved one if you do.

Marinelli44

Reaction score
Water heater

I replaced the #12 wire with #10. The breaker is still tripping periodically. Being this is a new water tank I'm calling the manufacturer.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
It sounds like the upper temperature switch is bad and is turning on both elements at the same time.

Either that or something is shorting out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks