(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pumping lake water for irrigation & power washer - set up?

Default Pumping lake water for irrigation & power washer - set up?

Wish to use lake water for irrigation (just lawn sprinklers attached to garden hose, no in-ground sprinklers, AND a power washer), instead of running my well pump at an up north (Michigan) cottage.

I purchased a pvc well point, which am told is great for drawing water in to with all the tiny slits. It was suggested by lake veterans to do this, and to slide it thru two cinder blocks to keep it off the sandy lake bottom.

I need to know what kind of pump to purchase. Understand that it should have a "pressure switch" so that when I turn off the sprinklers or the power washer, I will not be burning up the pump. Others have suggested that a "pressure tank" be added as well and tee'd off the pump, others say not necessary.

The outlet on the pvc well point drawing water out of the lake is a typical garden hose fitting. Have been also advised that you would need a much larger fitting and hose - larger than a garden hose between the well point and the pump.

Could use some advice here guys. A lot of conflicting information abounds!

Also, is it wise to situate the pump as close to the lake as possible, then run the garden hoses? Any brands, model numbers suggested?

Don't want to over or under buy, and do this the easiest but effective way possible.

Thanks.

First you are not going to hurt your well pump running irrigation or a pressure washer as long as you don’t let the pump cycle on and off. Pumps are made to run continuously. It is cycling on and off that destroys them.

Second, you can’t use a garden hose for suction or it will collapse. Try 160# poly pipe in 1” or 1 ¼”.

The pump needs to be as close to the lake as possible, and a ½ HP jet pump is probably all you will need.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The photo confuses me re: to your solution to a lake pump. Perhaps that is for a well system.

My new well is not yet driven yet which is why I need to draw from the lake now.

The end of the pvc well point that will sit above lake floor, has a garden hose size fitting. Can that be stepped up to your suggestion of a 1" or 1 1/4" hose? Guessing that connects to a jet pump. Wouldn't the routine turning on and off the power washer cause the jet pump to burn up? (not the cottage well pump?)

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    First you are not going to hurt your well pump running irrigation or a pressure washer as long as you don’t let the pump cycle on and off. Pumps are made to run continuously. It is cycling on and off that destroys them.

Second, you can’t use a garden hose for suction or it will collapse. Try 160# poly pipe in 1” or 1 ¼”.

The pump needs to be as close to the lake as possible, and a ½ HP jet pump is probably all you will need.

The Pside-Kick works great with lake pumps. I never seen a point with a garden hose connection. I suggested 160# poly because it won't colapse under vaccuum like a hose will.