Cast Iron Soil Pipe Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

PSlinger

Reaction score
How does one open up a cast iron soil pipe clean-out that has lead joints?
Also, if I can get rid of some of the cast iron, like below the floor, is there something like straps that I can use to support the remaining stack above the floor and thru the roof?

PSlinger

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
You are 1) asking how to remove the cleanout plug? If so i bet its brass. If it won't just screw off you can use a hammer and chissel and break it out. be sure not to let it fall in the stack. as for supporting the cast iron while you cut it. If there is a horizontal run tied to it like a toilet sweep you could use some steel stapping and some screws and strap it to the floor joists above. and even use a 2x4 below it for good measures.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cast iron is extremely heavy...use the hangers designed for it. These clamp around the pipe, and depending on where you can support it, either rest across joists, or are anchored into joists. If there is a horizontal section and you can put something under the fitting next to the vertical portion, that would work, but the whole thing might shift sideways, depending on what's holding it further up. Don't play around with this stuff, make sure it is properly supported before even thinking about cutting out a section.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Plumber Jim is on to you I think. Just take a cold chisel and beat the nice soft brass plug on out and be careful not to let it fall in.You be sad when your main backs up!
You didn't mention why you want to open this thing?
Your replacement cover may be a 3" or 3 1/2". measure to be sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks