(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Woodford tube removal????

  1. #1

    Default Woodford tube removal????

    Can I remove the tube from where the faucet is, I have no access from the inside or outside of my house. The water leaks from behind the siding when the faucet is on and water pressure is applied. It must have freezed, the stem and "front" seal are already out, now how to remove the tube??? I'm sure glad some of you guys and gals like these valves, as I'm 3 problems from only 3 valves. Any help would be great, thanks.

  2. #2
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yakima WA


    You have correctly diagnosed the problem. I'd bet money you left a hose attached to the faucet during the winter. A hose will prevent the water from drain out of the tube and the frozen water will split the tube. There is no repair possible, the whole thing must be replaced. It is attached to the supply line inside the house either with a threaded fitting or it may be soldered. In either case, you must get at it from inside...there is no other way. Do not even think about unscrewing it from the outside. If you do, you will almost certainly twist and ruin the supply line in the house. If it is threaded, to avoid twisting the supply line, you must use two wrenches inside. If it is a sweat joint, then you must unsolder and remove the split pipe. At that point, you can decide on either sweating a new faucet on or sweating an adapter so that you can use a screw in replacement faucet. If you do the latter, use two wrenches to install it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 04-27-2008 at 06:43 PM.

  3. #3
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    Like Gary said, you will have to cut the wall inside your home to get to where the connection is in order to replace it.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts