Kohler Memoirs quality problems

Users who are viewing this thread

rjtolly

Reaction score
Has anyone else had quality issues with Kohler Memoirs toilets and pedestal sinks? I noticed in the toilets forum there were some issues with getting the tank to sit vertically on the bowl. I had the same problem and had to get another bowl which solved the problem (but still had to tighten the bolts unevenly to get it vertical). Then I noticed tank was offset 1/2" side to side.The mounting bolts were off a full 1/2"! I also had problems with the large pedestal sink. It was very "wavy" across the back edge - dipping down by 1/8" in about a 6" section. I got another one and it was the same way. When I took it back to the distributor we checked 3 more and they were all like that. The 3 counter guys all agreed it was not right. I had also ordered another tank and that too was very distorted. At this point I have returned everything and am going to see if I can talk to the local Kohler rep. I am very disappointed in their quality. For the price you pay they should have much better quality control. I did contact the complaint department in WI and they agreed this was not right and just told me to reorder - big help!
Just wondering if anyone else has has problems.
Thanks,
Rich

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
China or porcelain products will have some individuality. They are made from clay that starts wet and then dries.
There is shrinkage involved and even coming from a mold, every piece may shrink differently.

The big question is, how much is too much.

Years ago I gave up caring if the holes were just right in lavs.
As a plumber, you try to square everything up so that everything is centered, but it's not always easy.

Some of this comes down to how much it would cost to produce clay vessels that attain some sort of perfection at an assembly cost that people would still pay for.
There is always, "it's just a toilet, it's just a lav basin, I don't want to spend my kids inheritance on them."

To make matters worse, now I'm wearing bi-focals and it's even harder to tell when things are straight, everything seems curved now.

On the lav pedastal, dipping 1/8" doesn't seem like much, you will be caulking the lav to the wall. Once the faucet is on, the mirror is attached to the wall, and various things put on the lav, who's going to notice.
Sometimes, it is what it is. A hand made clay vessel with it's own individual attributes.

InspectorGadget

Reaction score
Also, be careful when you tighten the bolts to the toilet, the drain to the sink, and the faucet to the sink. I have a good friend who has cracking enamel in every place that a bolt or screw could be tightened. Kohler told him that the plumber overtightened everything but you never know.

I'll be installing the same Memoirs sink and toilet in a few weeks and I'll let you know if everything lines up.

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks