Replacing water heater anode rods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the best water heater anode rod for city water which is chlorinated? (Aluminum, magnesium?) My city water is river water and comes from melting snow in the mountains not too far away.

Also I have a Rheem water heater with an anode rod which seems impossible to unscrew. (Stuck - I tried removing this by myself but could not do it. I'll try getting someone to help hold the tank so I can crank down on it.)

Tips for removing this anode rod? It is in a separate hole from the hot/cold and T&P valve.

If I can't remove the anode rod (which is magnesium), it there any problem with installing a separate anode rod in the cold water inlet so long as it is also magnesium?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
check out www.waterheaterrescue.com

Lots of info on selection of anode rods, and they sell them there, too. Some on this site have commented that the prices are a little high, but on the other hand they sell "segmented" rods which allow you to bend the rod to install it if you don't have a lot of headroom on top of the tank.

In terms of removing the existing rod - I got a socket at Sears and used a breaker bar and got it off without incident. If yours is stuck, you may need to use a "cheater pipe" (e.g. a length of galvanized pipe over the breaker bar handle). Some folks have also advocated using an impact wrench, but opinions differ on this.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use an impact wrench to remove them! It takes them out without trying to spin the water heater.

BTW it is also what the manufacturer uses to install them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
153394_lg.gif

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What is the best water heater anode rod for city water which is chlorinated? (Aluminum, magnesium?) My city water is river water and comes from melting snow in the mountains not too far away.
If you are changing to a different type to get rid of odor, simply turn the temp up to 140f to kill the bacteria that live in the heater and produce the gas that causes the odor. Otherwise, if you strip off any of the old rod material into the tank as you remove it, you haven't removed all the rod and the odor will continue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks