Basement Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

gary c

Reaction score
I want to install a shower in my basement, but I don't want to chip out the concrete floor and hook the drain up to the existing toilet piping. My basement is underground and don't want to start a way for water to get under or into the basement due to a crack where the old and new concrete come together.
What I want to do is install some kind of pump next to the shower pan and be able to pump it up and out of the basement. I have been thinking of a boat bilge pump next to the shower pan. I don't know if a bilge pump would be able to pump out the water fast enough to keep up with the water coming form the shower head. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone done this before. I would appreciate any help with this issue.
Thanks for any and all help
Gary C

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, if you have water UNDER the basement floor, it is coming up....a silly little concrete slab is not going to stop it. Raising a shower high enough to put a pumped pan under it will not look good. How much head room do you have to start with?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is going to be blunt and to the point. There is but one way to do this right. Open the floor and hook up to the sewer line. Anything else will be a totally unprofessional looking and performing job. It will actually detract from the value of the house should you want to sell. You will get no support on this forum for doing a hack job. If you don't want to mess with removing the concrete, there are professionals who can do it right and quickly.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't come up with that comment by accident. Been there, done that. It's doable, but it's a lot of work for those of use without professional equipment and experience. To do my basement bathroom over, I'd hire the pros. I got 'er done, but what a mess to clean up, and it took a loooong time!:p

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I didn't come up with that comment by accident. Been there, done that. It's doable, but it's a lot of work for those of use without professional equipment and experience. To do my basement bathroom over, I'd hire the pros. I got 'er done, but what a mess to clean up, and it took a loooong time!:p
What Gary said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks