Galvanized pipe to water main?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
We have copper inside the house, but a galvanized pipe that runs to the meter by the street. Our house is about 40 years old. Unfortunately, the run of the pipe would be down a healthy slope and cross under our concrete driveway.

1) Is there anyway to determine the condition of the pipe? We currently have good volume and pressure.

2) Any tips on how to replace the pipe without destroying my front yard I've worked so hard on?

3) Is the old pipe usually pulled and replaced, or is the old pipe left in the ground a new trench run?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have good flow that is a good sign. There are to many variables to say what condition yours in in ... here we have homes that the galvy supply is 60 years old and still supplying water fine...but time is against them and sooner or later it will be in need of replacement.

You can hire a company that uses a directional boring machine to replace the line...they will have to dig a hole near the meter but that is all...the rest of the yard will not be disturbed.

The old pipe is left in place.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanized pipe inside a house will corrode on the inside. How fast depends to a degree on the mineral contents of the water. However, when buried, their is another factor. The pipe will be attacked for the outside by rust. It is possible that the pipe could be leaking but nothing appears on the surface of the ground yet. Given the age of the pipe, I would plan for a new pipe in the near future. Have it done before there a break that forces immediate action. As Cass points out, this can be done without ripping out the driveway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

If the pipe is a direct run under the driveway and is still in good condition, the new pipe might be able to be pulled under the driveway as the old one is removed. I have done it with a come-a-long, but it could require a backhoe to give the required force.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've rented a boring maching to go under driveways.

I tried pulling them through, but the soil around here sticks to the pipe.
Most people leave the pipe in the ground, it doesn't hurt anything.

If the existing pipe is working, fine, then you can leave it. Most of the galvanized underground pipe in the Seattle area lasts about 50 years.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galv. Water Main

Also Be Aware That If You Replace With Pvc, Cpvc, Pex, Or Any Other Non Metal Pipe You Lose Your House Electric Ground ! !
And May ? Need A Electrician To Correct The Problem For Safety

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Also Be Aware That If You Replace With PVC, Cpvc, PEX, Or Any Other Non Metal Pipe You Lose Your House Electric Ground ! !
And May ? Need A Electrician To Correct The Problem For Safety

Very good point. Part of the price for replacement, is having an electrician come out and install two new grounding rods to the panel.
There have been cases where plumbers have died when they cut the pipe leading to the water service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks