Outside Spigot Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

mlordi

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my home and there are two spigots outside that have handle damage. I am trying to fix them and I am wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about removing the old handle and possibly replacing it with a new one. Is this possible or do I need a whole new faucet?

0425081319a.jpg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Are there female threads down inside the hole in the middle of the handle? Usually there's a screw holding the handle onto the stem. After a while, the screw isn't doing much of anything, 'cause the handle is firmly fastened to the splined stem by corrosion, etc. Looks like maybe somebody took out the screw, failed to get the handle off, and lost the screw.

If that's the case, I'd soak the thing in PB Blaster, then go back the next day and use a puller to try to get the handle -- or what's left of it -- off. If that fails, a Sawzall or nut splitter can be used to split the handle, but that's a last-ditch maneuver.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is a little screw or nut hiding inside that center hole. It might be easier to work on if you unscrew the packing nut and pull out the entire stem and . Then you could get it on the work bench and pick it apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And if I were to replace it, it would not be the first job I did as a DIY plumber.

You will need to know how to solder, drill brick, install a shut-off valve and an anti-frost bib. And the main shut off to the house must absolutely work. I bet that one is old too.

This may be your first call to a plumber.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try installing one of these

legend_hosebib.jpg

Legend 1/4 turn...they are very well made with a rubber coated handel.

I would not use the BK brand 1/4 turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No Doubt the handle is broken because the handle had to be turned very hard to stop it from dripping. They probably had to use channel lock pliers!

I would as the others have stated install a new frost proof hose sillcock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks