Sizing a well holding tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Michigan Jeff

Reaction score
Does the distance from the location of the holding tank to the home matter when sizing the tank? My well house is about 100 feet from my home. The county has no record of how deep the well is or the size of the underground pump. I need a new holding tank and I'm trying to figure out what size I need. The old one is a wellxtrol wx204. Not sure how old it is and I find no information online. It is about 60 inched tall with a 16 inch diameter. Does it need to be this big due to the distance from the house. Neighbors have smaller tanks, approx 30 -35 gallons and I wonder why my tank is so large.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
That pressure tank is primarily to provide a "spring" effect to store some water as pressure increases and release some as pressure goes down. The sought after result is minimizing the cycling of the pump. Pressure goes below the lower set point - pump goes on. Pressure gets to the cut off setting - pump stops. When the pump shuts off the tank supplies water until the lower turn on setting triggers the pump. Larger is better because the pump cycles less frequently.

The tank should be inside if things freeze. Basically, distance to the well does not matter. If you are having a problem; post that.

Holding tank would probably be interpreted by people reading you post as a large (usually unpressurized) tank for storing water from a low producing well.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Cycle Stop Valve

You can use a smaller tank if you use a "Cycle Stop Valve" This valve will give you constant pressure and the pump won't cycle as long as you are drawing water. When you stop using water the pump will fill the tank (large or small) then shut off with no water hammer. It's reasonable and usually easy to install.

Go to www.cyclestopvalves.com for more information.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Does the distance from the location of the holding tank to the home matter when sizing the tank?
No, the size is based on letting the pump cool down for 60 seconds between starts. That is used for up to 1.5 hp pumps. Two hp and larger require more time.

As Porky says, a CSV and small tank is the best solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks