Just want a nice hot bath

Users who are viewing this thread

elijellie

Reaction score
Hi, folks,
Newbie here but I've been lurking. I'm building. Told my husband next time I move it'll be feet first with a sheet over my head. So I want to get this right. I am putting in toto toilet's - that was a nobrainer. But my tub is a tough decision. Money is no object when it comes to my tub. Not being bratty...I just have hotbath taking down to an artform. I am looking into the freestanding Empire tub by Waterworks It is a very heavy acrylic - twice as thick as most acrylic tubs or so I've been told. But for the same price I can get a satin nickel tub/ with tin interior (I think) from Water Monopoly. I'm not being a princess I just have an illness that is really helped by hotbaths. I can't control my body temp very well so I take a bath. I am always cold, even in August. My fingers are blue unless the temperature is 85 or 90. I hate jacuzzi type tubs. Just want a pretty one and I'm wondering about materials. The house is right on salt water so cast iron may not be an option. Had cast iron tubs in a beach cottage and we had problems. Thank you for your time and help. I truly appreciate it since this is a large expenditure and I would hate to spend that much money on something I regret.

Cookie

Reaction score
Sheesh, I didn't know I had a twin out there. :D Your post was amazing, if you knew me you would know why. I live to take a long hot bath, and I don't care if the world knows it, I love luxurious baths. I am a brat.:p
I can't help you with the materials for salt water, I don't know the answer; but, I bet there are others here who do. I don't know if I would do cast iron. About your blue fingers, sheesh, same thing happens to me, with my hands. I sometimes look like a smurfette. :rolleyes: I have a cold-antibody hemolytic anemia and hot baths help. I got frost bite one year.
When you are done, you should post a pic.

elijellie

Reaction score
Okay...busted. I'm a brat. But I do have Diffuse Scleroderma and severe Raynaud's (the cause of the smurfy hands) They almost had to amputate a finger at one point but I had a surgery that helped it enough to where I can get some circulation back in there. I have a little gangrene right now which I rather enjoy. If a kid doesn't get her butt up to brush her teeth (or whatever) when I say so I just threaten to touch them with my gangrene. Truly motivational and effective. I always say my job is to get them raised with most of their teeth.:D I'll do it by hook or by crook.
I think another nice feature would be some sort of thing so I could shock them out of my bathtub. Why do they think my bathroom is public territory?

Cookie

Reaction score
I didn't know if I should laugh or cry reading that, so, I laughed! You are funny. I am sorry to hear about the illnesses, not fun there. But, your kids are your blessing, they will keep you young and moving; why is the bathroom public territory? Because they know it can be~~we are moms! I thought I lost all shame having the babies, until, they started growing up! Half of the time they weren't even mine in there while I was showering. Then, I got smart. I fixed the lock, granted it took a while since it was only about a hundred years old, but, it is my major accomplishment in life.

What was your question again here? Ah, yes materials. Stay patient someone else will surely, answer.

elijellie

Reaction score
I'm not funny. I'm insane from all these kids. There is a big difference, you know. I have 3 children all of whom are curse children...you know the one your mother said you would grow up to have who are just like you. I personally was certifiable until I hit 30. Now I know why my mother is bi-polar. I got married when I hit 30 and suddenly going to Zimbabwe no longer was a weekend excursion. Sigh. I had 5 kids all day. Can you tell?
Oh yeah...your thoughts on acrylic vs nickel vs vitrite vs ficore vs a bunch of other stuff I never heard of. Believe me I'm patient. I'm sipping a Mike's hard lemonade now. All is well.

Cookie

Reaction score
I have been thinking...

I wouldn't get the tin because it isn't as smooth as plastic, and remember the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz? Well, maybe if it is pure tin it would resist corrosion. This is my humble opinion here. :D

I would use a brass drain and insulate well underneath to hold the heat longer.

Don't underestimate the power of insanity, it works. It has gotten me to this point in my life, lol. You could be a stand up and make a million bucks, :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Anything metal is going to disipate the heat quicker than a plastic material, which is why cast iron can be a poor choice when a hot tub is desired.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I know you said that you hated jacuzzi type tubs and so do I (they are more trouble than they are worth in my opinion), but the fact that you can get one with a heater unit to keep the water nice and hot seems to be something worth considering rather than just aesthetic considerations.

Strictly from a functionality point of view, I would definitely consider some kind of alcove installation where you can pack in as much insulation as possible under the tub to boost the R value, rather than a freestanding tub.

And you could save some of the ten Gs by going acrylic and put it towards a nice heated tile floor in your bathroom and keep the entire room nice and toasty to add to the comfort and therapeutic quality of the room.

elijellie

Reaction score
OOOOO! Me likey heated tile floors! Just so you all understand my deep seated hatred for cold, I want heated tile floors and I live in a subtropical/hurricane prone climate. December January and February are nippy around here but the rest of the year is warm.
About the whole freestanding vs deckthingie. I have always had more trouble getting in and out of deck tubs. My tendency is to step into the deck tub and not sit on the deck and swing my legs in. I don't like putting my bum on cold tile. So the heater thing may be the way to go. Hell, put a wine dispenser next to it and probably nothing else will matter.
I think I have decided on acrylic but how do you know which is good thick stuff and which is junk? Are there certain brands out there that are known to be heavier? Some of the brands that I have run across that seem heavy duty. Waterworks, Water Monopoly, Strom. Any more brands that you think are good and heavy? Highest price doesn't mean highest quality. Believe me I know. I bought a Herbeau faucet once. Piece of junk.
Does anyone have experience with waterworks faucets?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the tub is a good name brand and installed correctly you should have no problem.

I would keep with a Delta Or Moen faucet if possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks