Replaced PRV, now have too low of pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

jrstephens

Reaction score
We are getting ready to install a sprinkler system. Measured the pressure at two outside faucets at 125psi (static). Tried to adjust the PRV (at the main line) to no avail. Replaced the PRV and tested the outside faucets: 50psi. Adjusted the PRV till the outside faucets showed 70psi (static). That was late last night. We washed our faces, brushed our teeth, took a shower and went to bed. I get up this morning and there is hardly any water flowing from the sink, and not near enough to take a shower with. Have I turned down the pressure too much? Or could there be another hidden PRV that is stepping down the pressure even further?

Thanks,
Jesse

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
You may want to check the incoming pressure before the PRV over a day's time to see if it is changing. If it is contact the city or water department. If not then either you need to readjust the PRV again or maybe there is another PRV somewhere. Was the pressure the night before (brushing teeth, etc) normal?
Gary

jrstephens

Reaction score
The pressure seemed normal last night, however, it could have been risidule from the previous state of high pressure, and then somehow throughout the night maybe it equalized. Is it common for the to be more than one PRV on a system?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The differential pressure on a PRV is limited, so if your incoming water pressure is very high, sometimes they'll use two in series, each dropping a portion of the pressure.

Did you have any faucet open running water while adjusting the pressure? Could some of the pressure have been from the water heater running? Do you have an expansion tank in your system (needed with the PRV)? Is the expansion tank in good shape (good pressure, bladder intact)?

You could have great static water pressure, or even dangerously high pressure, and if the supply line or internal to the house pipes are all corroded internally galvanized piping, your pressure would be fine, but the flow would be horrible. What are your pipes and supply line made of?

What is the more likely situation is the act of shutting the water off and performing the maintenance loosened some crud from the insides of the pipe, and you need to clean the screens on the inlet to the showerhead and the aerators of the affected faucets.

Last edited:

jrstephens

Reaction score
Figured it out! My dynamic pressure ended up being 0, but so did my static after I checked it again this afternoon. I didn't relieve the pressure in the system before checking the static pressure last night after adjusting the screw, and I think I probably needed to. So, when I thought I had turned the pressure up a little, I in fact turned it waay down. And the darn instructions don't say which way to turn the adjustment screw to turn the pressure up or down.

Thank you both for your assistance; I am learning a lot.

Jesse

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks