(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Running a pump from a generator

Default Running a pump from a generator

I have a 2hp irrigation pump set up for 230v. I want to use it to fill a water truck from a creek to fill stock tanks. Would there be any problems with running it off of a gas powered generator? What should I be concerned about?

As long as the generator will start it, then it will run fine. Might start with a 3500 watt, may take a 5,000.

When you start a big electric motor there is a short but large surge. The generator must be rated to handle that surge. The continuous load rating of the motor and generator can be the same, but the generator has to take the surge. This may mean a generator rating larger than otherwise needed for continuous use. Some generators are better about this than others. Check specs.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartin View Post
    I have a 2hp irrigation pump set up for 230v. I want to use it to fill a water truck from a creek to fill stock tanks. Would there be any problems with running it off of a gas powered generator? What should I be concerned about?
    Isn't a two HP something like 1500 watts?

We run pumps on generators all the time. Just make sure you have enough generator for the job and grounding protection in place.

1 HP equals 745.7 watts. But start up takes about 6 times that much.
    Last edited by valveman; 04-23-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Default Thanks for the info.

I believe it is a 6000 watt generator. It has a 230 outlet. It runs an electric jack hammer pretty well. I was trying to save some money by using an electric pump and a generator that I already had, but I think I will just buy a gas powered irrigation pump. I don't think I have room for both the pump and the generator on my truck. I think a two inch pump and a five horse engine should work good enough for filling a water tank. Thanks for all the input.

Previous member

If your looking for a deal on Gas pumps, check out the three I have left on my Specials page: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/specials.htm

The 3hp is already sold.

bob...