Extending Outdoor Water Line

Users who are viewing this thread

MLyle

Reaction score
I want to add another outdoor faucet about 40 feet from the one on the back of the house. What kind of pipe should I use? The existing line is PVC pipe with brass spigot. I know I would need to cut the PVC and put in a Tee and pipe to the existing faucet, but can I use some kind of flexible pipe to go to the second faucet? I live in NW Florida, doesn't get very cold here.

Hope this makes sense, I'm not very knowledgeable about names of plumbing parts.

Thanks! :eek:

shag_fu

Reaction score
I would use pvc the same size as the existing line. You could use flexible, but pvc would be better(sched 40 not 20 please)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely use sch 40 PVC. When you cut the pipe, deburr it with a dull knife inside and out. Primer the end of the pipe and inside the fitting. Apply PVC cement to the pipe (I do the inside of the fitting, too) Insert the pipe immediately, giving it a 1/4 turn or so. Hold the pipe and fitting together for a few seconds. This is an interference fit and the pipe will want to push out of the fitting until the weld is complete. Yes, this is a solvent weld, not true gluing. The "glue" actually melts the surface of the fitting and pipe so when they are slipped together, the two surfaces blend together just like when welding metal with heat. You want to be sure the fitting is oriented properly, because there is no adjusting it later. (Of course you can cut the pipe and use a coupling to make changes if necessary) While freezing won't be a factor where you live, I would bury the pipe deep enough to be sure no surface tilling will reach the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks