(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Extending Outdoor Water Line

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Extending Outdoor Water Line

    I want to add another outdoor faucet about 40 feet from the one on the back of the house. What kind of pipe should I use? The existing line is PVC pipe with brass spigot. I know I would need to cut the PVC and put in a Tee and pipe to the existing faucet, but can I use some kind of flexible pipe to go to the second faucet? I live in NW Florida, doesn't get very cold here.

    Hope this makes sense, I'm not very knowledgeable about names of plumbing parts.


  2. #2
    DIY Member shag_fu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    I would use pvc the same size as the existing line. You could use flexible, but pvc would be better(sched 40 not 20 please)

  3. #3
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yakima WA


    Definitely use sch 40 PVC. When you cut the pipe, deburr it with a dull knife inside and out. Primer the end of the pipe and inside the fitting. Apply PVC cement to the pipe (I do the inside of the fitting, too) Insert the pipe immediately, giving it a 1/4 turn or so. Hold the pipe and fitting together for a few seconds. This is an interference fit and the pipe will want to push out of the fitting until the weld is complete. Yes, this is a solvent weld, not true gluing. The "glue" actually melts the surface of the fitting and pipe so when they are slipped together, the two surfaces blend together just like when welding metal with heat. You want to be sure the fitting is oriented properly, because there is no adjusting it later. (Of course you can cut the pipe and use a coupling to make changes if necessary) While freezing won't be a factor where you live, I would bury the pipe deep enough to be sure no surface tilling will reach the pipe.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts