flexible tubing instead of compression fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

stamp

College Professor
Reaction score
Website
www.cs.sjsu.edu
I have a wall mount faucet for a clawfoot tub. It's supposed to use compression fittings to connect to 1/2" copper pipe. However, I'd like to connect flexible tubing instead of the compression fittings, since I'm installing the faucet on a movable stand. The 3/4" flexible tubing that is used on water heaters will fit in place of the compression fitting. Is there any potential problem using the flexible connectors instead of the compression fittings?

If you'd like to see a schematic of the faucet, it's here:
http://common.csnstores.com/common/marketing/elizabethanclassics/1317tech.pdf

Thanks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I cannot visualize what you are trying to do but I would like to make a few comments.

1) I would not use flexible connectors if they are to be installed behind a wall.

2) You should not use compression fittings behind a wall.

3) The braided stainless steel water heater flexible hoses are actually not very flexible (far less than the smaller ones more commonly used for faucets and toilets). If you need to bend them a lot, they will crimp very easily obstructing flow and potentially damaging them.

stamp

College Professor
Reaction score
Website
www.cs.sjsu.edu
clarification

The flexible tubing will be attached in place of the nut that is supposed to hold the compression thing in place. Also, none of this will be behind any wall, and it does not need to be very flexible (I just want to be able to move it a little bit and the 18" water heater tubing would be ideal).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks