backup sump pump - weep hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobber33

Reaction score
I installed a backup system and used a check valve for each pump and a "Y" to bring them together after the check valves. The directions (yes I read them) tell you to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the backup pump discharge pipe 3 inches above the connection between the backup pump and its discharge pipe to prevent the pump from locking up with suction.

Do I need to drill a similar hole in the discharge pipe from the main pump? When I was testing the system, after the main pump stops pumping water out of the sump it makes this loud gurgling sound for about 10 seconds. Why is this happening?

Thanks...

bobber33

Reaction score
I drilled a weep hole in the main discharge pipe, but it still makes a gurgling sound AFTER the pump shuts off. I can feel water moving around in the backup pump discharge line while it is gurgling, and it sounds like the gurgling is coming from the main pump. HELP PLEASE. It is driving me nuts!

Nesquick97

Reaction score
Weep Hole

I have the same sound from my main pump. I drilled a hole about 3 inches up from where the discharge pipe connects to pump. When pump stops running I hear the same sound as you. I always figured that it is the water that is between the pump and the back side of the check valve. When the pumping stops the check valve closes and stops a majority of water from coming back down. The weep hole allows the remaining water to exit by the main pump. I think that I am going to replace the pipe and drill the hole at a 45 degree angle (same as for backup) and see if that helps. Plus I am getting a ton of spray in the sump when the pump runs. Maybe a 45 degree angle will help that problem also?

Just a theory! I may have no idea what is the real issue.

bobber33

Reaction score
Good luck, and let me know if that helps. My guess is that it has something to do with the "Y" connection to the backup pump. I can feel water moving around in the section between the "Y" and the check valve to the backup pump. The gurgling noise seems to be coming from the main pump though. I can see air bubbles coming out of it.

I have the same spraying problem. I was sooo hopeful that drilling the hole was going to stop that sound, but all it did was cause problems. How is the pvc pipe attached to the main pump. Does it unscrew or do you have to cut and cement it?

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
Are you sure your checkvalve is functioning properly? You might want to consider replacing that as well. There are different schools of thought on whether the 1/8 hole is needed. I do not use one on my primary the pit because it is very active, the on/off level is set slightly higher, and the pump already has a built in relief hole in the cast iron housing to prevent air-lock. If you insist on the hole, then you can also attempt to contain the spray by fashioning an outside sleeve over the hole area. This can be done with a larger fernco rubber connector and some creative design with larger PVC fittings.

Your discharge line is probably just screwed into your main pump housing. Get a decent size pair of channel-locks and you should be able to unscrew the PVC pipe fitting from the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks