Roots in Sump Pump Crock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
My mother's house was built in 91. The last few years, we've been getting roots into the sump crock through the drain tiles. It's not clear if they come from inside the drain tiles or not. It looks like they may very well follow the outside of the tile through the crock hole into the bottom of the pit.

If they are INSIDE the drain tiles, what is the standard procedure? If they are outside, is there anything we can do?

Not sure what tree they're from. There used to be a large cedar tree about 15 feet away from the sump pump (And 4-6 feet up, of course) but that was cut down a few years ago. Although recent research I did indicates that it may be the 2 poplar trees that are probably ~ 80 feet away. (They've been in place for 15+ years, and the tallesr one is ~ 60 feet, I'd think)

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
And just how would I get that product to flow backwards into the drain tile, yet not affect the grass that the sump pump discharges on to?

Bombjay

Reaction score
Sounds like you have enough ground water where this should not be a concern!
I can come up a dozen ways to kill the roots off but as faras not killing the grass...
Yikes!You do need to find a way to get thses to quit growning into your drain tile before the roots plug the thing off! An ounce of prevention....

Nate R

Reaction score
Well, I can't come up with any ways to kill the roots. I'm open to workable suggestions. We'll drain the thing into a drywell downhill from the house if we have to. That would keep the grass from getting killed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks