Wall hung or rear outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

jmonagh

Reaction score
I need to move an existing toilet in a high-rise condo with concrete slab, so I can widen the shower and door to 32" min or greater. Cutting the floor is not an option due to significant cost (x-ray floor, structural engineering assesment, Assoc. permission, access to floor from below, etc >$40K)

The problem is really the location and orientation of the toilet. Using the existing flange:
1) can I change the install postion 90 degrees and use a rear outlet toilet create some space and discharge into the existing waste flange
2) create a wall over the flange and install a wall hung toilet that discharges into the existing waste
3) leave the toilet where it is and move the shower (still tied into the existing shower drain using a built up base)
4) any other ideas?

See pdf for a room layout.

Thanks,

JM

Attachments

• Condo remodel.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 244

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 seems like the only option which would not cost obscene amounts of money. Wall hung installations are very pricey.
You are creating a room which many future buyers of your condo would balk at. You would put the toilet in a "non-private" area, meaning for privacy you would have to lock out access to the sink and that large room ( closet? ),not to mention giving them a smaller vanity when instead you could possibly put in a double sink upgrade.

jmonagh

Reaction score
Remodel

Jimbo,
This bathroom is located inside the master bedroom. The door on the left is to the hallway and the opening at the top is the bedroom. You walk-in through the vanity/dressing area to get to the bedroom. The door opening is tight so you really can't shut the door unless you stand in the shower first as it is.

I know double sinks are desirable for re-sale but I would prefer to have a walk-in steam room/ double-head shower. By rotating the vanity I only lose about 1 ft of width off the counter space.

I suppose some people might find this odd, but a lot of the bathroom design books have open european/wall hung toilets. I was also looking at putting up a frosted glass barrier on the right side of the toilet to increase privacy. I also have another powder room across the hall for guest.

Is there a way to connect the discharge from a wall hung toilet to the existing toilet flange? Wouldn't this be the same type of issue for the rear discharge toilet? I'm not worried about a spending more to get a wall-hung and carrier system, but I don't want to spend 40K just to move a hole.

Thanks,

JM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks