Basement Floor Plumbing Identification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shinshi

Reaction score
I am about to finish the basement, but prior to doing so I thought it would be prudent to investigate the plumbing access points I have in the cement floor. The house was built in 2003 in Calgary, Alberta and would have been subject to plumbing codes applicable at that time.

There are a total of 4. I have a good idea what they all connect to and are used for, but thought I'd get some second opinions.

I have attached pictures of what I have and my idea on what they might be:

Picture # 1: Floor drain that connects to main storm sewer with check ball?

Picture # 2: Clean out for drainage under the house that connects to main storm sewer line?

Picture # 3: Clean out for the main sewer line?

Picture # 4: Backwater valve?

The backwater valve is located in the middle of the bathroom floor. That is going to present some challenges to retain access as I'd like to tile that floor.

How do I tell for sure what the drain is connected to? I have another drain in the basement to which I'd like to run a water softener drain. However, if it is connected to the main storm sewer line, that is probably not a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1395R.JPG
    IMG_1395R.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1393R.JPG
    IMG_1393R.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1392R.JPG
    IMG_1392R.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_1398R.JPG
    IMG_1398R.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lines

What "genius" did that job? The items are supposed to have been elevated to the finish floor level and then cemented in place, with or without flush covers. Not placed under a hole in the floor that is subject to flooding from hydrostatic water flow.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Time to break up some concrete and fix the plumbing before doing the new floor.

Shinshi

Reaction score
What "genius" did that job? The items are supposed to have been elevated to the finish floor level and then cemented in place, with or without flush covers. Not placed under a hole in the floor that is subject to flooding from hydrostatic water flow.

The builder or the builder's contractor was the "genius" that did this job! I am the second owner, so I get to correct these problems now.

I figured the best course of action is to bring these up to floor level. I do question whether the drain is necessary though. I have one about 15 feet away in the utility room. The first 3 are all in what will be a bedroom and in which I intend to install a subfloor and carpet. I figure if I document where everything is, I can at least roll back the carpet and get access if absolutely necessary.

Shinshi

Reaction score
Time to break up some concrete and fix the plumbing before doing the new floor.

Yes, that is my thoughts too.

I'd just like to identify where each of these are connected into, whether sewer or storm sewer system. I am assuming these are the only two possibilities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks