Eradicating Fescue

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
My lawn is infested with tall fescue. How can I eradicate it short of using a nonselective herbicide. The problem area is prominently in my front yard, so I'm leery of killing everything and starting over. Is there a selective? Anyone use "Certainty"?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Some other info: I live in central NJ (Zone 5?) and my grass is otherwise a kb/rg/f mix. I've been using Jonathan Green's Sun and Shade mix for a few years now.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the area is not too large, and subject to sunlight, you can cover it with black plastic sheeting and cook it to death.

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm not against chemicals. I'm just trying to find a way to SELECTIVELY kill the fescue and not the otherwise desirable grass. I believe I know the (unfortunate) answer to the this; just hopin'.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Fescue is grass. Out here it is a desirable grass, as most of our lawns are infested with common bermuda.

Science does wonderful things, so I would ask your local nurseryman, but I would doubt that they have something which would kill just fescue, and not your other grasses.

Prashster

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the fescue's a grass. Looks pretty good on its own, but next to the shorter, darker, non-clumping breeds in my lawn, it just doesn't look right.

I haven't found better nursery men or advisors on most things than the people on this forum...

Thanks, looks like I'm headin' for the glyphosate!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not that it will help you, but I heard yesterday there will be a herbicide available later this year for wire grass which is very effective. Talked to someone who had a sample, which he said worked great.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To my knowledge, there is no product that will selectively kill what I'll term "narrow leaf" grasses. You can kill broad leaf plants without harming other grasses, but I know of nothing that will kill one type of narrow leaf and not the rest. I'd opt for Round-Up and kill everything in the area and re-sod or replant. The nice thing about Round-Up is it does not sterilize or adversely affect the soil so you can replant as soon as you get the area cleaned up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks