Sensco duraspin collalated dry wall gun

Users who are viewing this thread

ctkeebler

Reaction score
How is this for homeowner use in hanging sheet rock? I see its only 99.00 for the corded version seems it would make screwing the nails in easier then having to fumble with the screw and driver.

I know the nails are a little more expensive 16.00 for a 1000, but for homeowner and projects I would guess it would work good.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The most important feature of a screwdriver/drill used for hanging drywall is the auto shutoff when the screw is seated juuust right, having dimpled but not broken the drywall paper surface. The second most important is light weight. It's tough to find both features in a tool which is primarily a drill. If you're going to do a lot of drywall work, invest in a drywall screwgun. There's a good review of a bunch of them here: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=0&articleID=501126

They liked the Makita 6824, around $90 online. I wouldn't spend a nickel extra for collated screws.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have the senco Duraspin and have to admit that I really like it. I hate having to pay so much for the screws but it allows me to hang drywall on my own. I still have to have a drill handy to handle the bad screws. Also doesn't like to go through the recessed parts of the board since the gun is set to go through the center of the board. At least that's how I set mine up.

The tips are also pretty pricey.

However it works well and makes hanging ceilings very easy.

Tom

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I hang drywall on my own with just a drill/driver with a magnetic tip adapter. Just finished one wall in a garage with 10' 5/8" fire-rated stuff, using 1 5/8" screws. Not too bad with enough jigs and other homemade gizmos to help. Last ceiling I did I cheated and used a tilt-up drywall jack, but only 12' 1/2" sheets. Ceilings are always worse than walls when you have an arthritic neck :(.

Last edited:

ctkeebler

Reaction score
I have the senco Duraspin and have to admit that I really like it. I hate having to pay so much for the screws but it allows me to hang drywall on my own. I still have to have a drill handy to handle the bad screws. Also doesn't like to go through the recessed parts of the board since the gun is set to go through the center of the board. At least that's how I set mine up.

The tips are also pretty pricey.

However it works well and makes hanging ceilings very easy.

Tom

How often do I need to replace the tips? Also can I get them easily at the big box stores?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You'll end up replacing a tip pretty soon I bet. There's a learning curve on knowing when to no longer spin the drill and draw it back. After that replacement you should be good for several thousand if not more.

It really comes down to user error when replacing the tips. You spin the screws a little to long each time and you'll end up eating up the bits. Not that difficult though.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks