Trouble-shooting a WX 202?

Users who are viewing this thread

gram

Reaction score
I have a 19 year old Well-X-Trol WX 202 pressure tank and have experienced no problems with it until today. This morning when no water came out of the faucet or other household taps I checked the circuit breaker -- ok -- then went to the tank. Pressure gauge read "0" and customarily reads "50" when no taps are open. After jostling the tank a bit pressure rose. After a short amount of time and another gentle jostle or two of tank, water availability at faucets/taps throughout house [basement and 2 upper stories] was back to normal. Gauge has since returned to customary "50" and tank appears to cycle as expected with a tap open. Tank along with water heater and softener is out of the way and wiring to Pumptron is secured. Not sure what gently jostling the tank did, but it seems to have worked for now. Would appreciate such insights as to trouble-shooting or thoughts as to what might be the problem as the community might provide.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you shook that tank and all of sudden you have water, the pressure switch is more than likely your issue. Take the cover off the switch and look to see if the contacts are worn. A bad diaphragm would also cause you to have no water if the pump motor went into thermal overload due to short cycling. I would run a faucet in the house and see how quickly the pump turns on and off.

Sammy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

IF the gauge read 0, then there was no water in the system, which means the pressure switch did not operate the pump. The tank has nothing to do with that, and the jostling must have jiggled the switch and turned it on.

gram

Reaction score
HJ, Sammyhydro11, Mike:

Thank you for the advice.

No problems since I jostled the tank yesterday to include everyone getting up and and out the door to school and work this a.m.

My [uneducated guess] is it was the switch and a case of intermittent contact which the jostling of the tank fixed.

With the power supply turned on to the tank and no demand on the system the system gauge continues to read "50". A check of the pressure via the valve atop the tank reads "44" which is within a degree or so of where tank cycles on at 45-46. No water escapes or present in the pressure check of the valve atop the tank. With a demand for water on the system, tank appears to cycle on and off ok.

Based on your notes, the only other thing I have done is to sweep cobwebs and dust away from the switch and tank-tee and to wire brush the portions of the Pumptrol switch I could get to [in my initial note I referred to it as Pumptron] such as the pressure adjustment spring device which I did with the power supply to the tank turned off at the circuit breaker.

Again, thanks again for your assistance. I count myself lucky this time in at least two ways: the jostling seemed to work and my uncertainty as to how to proceed prompted me to find this board where assistance was readily provided.

Regards,
gram

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks