Advice for moving sanitary tee up

Users who are viewing this thread

wrkane

Reaction score
Beginner here, so sorry if this is too simple a question. I am in middle of powder room remodel and need to move the sanitary tee for the sink drain stub-out up approximately five inches, to about 20" above the floor -- that is about the same height as the existing ankle stops. Below the tee I would use the standard ABS coupler, but what about above on the vent side? I am not certain what type of coupling to use there, or what the proper way to do it is. Also, should I move the ankle stops as well, as I have never seen these at the same height as the drain stub-out and it seems clearance can be an issue? Thanks for any help or tips you may have...

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 576

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm just questioning why you are moving the drain. Is this a pedestal sink installation where the pedestal will not allow the trap to exit at that height? Or, a vanity installation where the vanity has interference with the drain at that height?

If not why not use a longer sink tailpiece?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

The water lines should be fine where they are. You will probably need to use two ABS/ABS banded, NO-Hub type, couplings to insert the new tee and its pipe stubs.

wrkane

Reaction score
The reason I need to move it up is the new sink sits on a rack, and there is a small shelf and storage basket on the bottom, so the trap cannot be in the way. There was a pedestal sink here before but no storage. I had a small wall cabinet for storage but it encroached in this small space and often I would graze my shoulder against it.

Yesterday the big box employee said they the ABS couplings were all they had and was generally not helpful. Today I went back and found the Proflex coupling -- they were actually somewhat hidden at the end of the aisle and obstructed from view by their pricing placard. So I did the work today and ideally I would like to have moved it up a few inches farther, but the sanitary tee would not fit in between the bracket for the copper and the sink rack. So this will have to do, thanks for the assistance. Cannot wait to get the Toto Drake installed...

Attachments

• IMG_0509x.jpg
    IMG_0509x.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You should have cut the straps, put the T where you wanted it, taken off your plumber hat, put on your carpenter hat, and arranged other support for the pipes and stops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks