Sand Issue, well just serviced.

Users who are viewing this thread

SJProwler

Reaction score
I have a 120' 2" deep well. the casing is down 110' with an 11' 8" plastic .008 slot screen. Orinigal drop pipe was 1" at 93'

I had the well company here because my capacity was beginning to drop below a gallon a minute.

They pulled the pitless and drop pipe, initially they were only able to pump 4 gpm with the rig. They then surgepumped the screen and capacity increased to 20 gpm while pumping with the rig and pitcher pump.

They pumped it for about 3 hours before all of the sand stopped flowing out. When we got done the well was still pumping 20 gpm and it would take approx 30 min to accumlate 1 teaspoon of sand.

I have a 1 hp 2 stage Flint&Walling 6269 pump with the auto jet valve. When the guys put the well back together, they raised the jet 13' and only used 80' of drop pipe. New Bremer Check and re-used the jet, new check valve on the jet.
Through the pump we are getting 5.5 gpm and had about 10 minutes of sand, now I only get maybe a teaspoon of sand a day in my sediment filter.

Is this an issue? We had to rebuild the pump, the bottom impeller was plugged with mineral in 2 places and a bit worn, the upper impeller was ok. The vacuum line to the Jet valve was also plugged.

Is 5.5 gpm about all I should expect? The owner of the company suggested I add an additional wx202 tank to the one I have to make the pump cycle less which would help with the sand.

Any Suggestions would be welcomed.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have the characteristics of the pump but 5.5 GPM may be all it is supposed to deliver for the well conditions.

The drawdown of the tank is about the minimum you would want for that pump. An additional tank would reduce the cycles but I don't know why it would reduce the amount of sand you get.

If you got 20 GPM with a pitcher pump it isn't clear why you need a deep well jet.

SJProwler

Reaction score
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. They were pumping it with the rig with what looked like the guts of a pitcher pump at the end of 100' of drop pipe.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You have a two inch well with a very deep water level. Your lucky to be getting 5 gpm at that depth. That is to say if the water is actually down that low.

The jet valve is really called an automatic backpressure control. If it doesn't work, neither does the pump. That F&W was very sensitive to having the correct amount of backpressure.

The sand may quit with time. More or bigger tanks are always a good thing, but I don't see it helping with the sand problem.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks