help with basement rough in. pics included

Users who are viewing this thread

buzzard

Reaction score
ok. im looking to rough in the basement plumbing so i can get my floor poured. can you pro's look over this mess and see if this will work. i forgot to include the vent for the floor drain. maybe i can just tie into washer drain? i've included a pic of plumbing and also a floor plan so as to orient yourself. any thoughts are much appreciated.

Here's proposed plumbing layout....

04-19-2008095622AMa.jpg

Here's the floor plan...

04-19-2008095742AMb.jpg

here's side view...

1side.jpg

corrected washer and detail basement toilet..

04-20-2008095654AMroughin.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

NEither the floor plan or top view tells us what we need to know. Just going by the top view we would have to say that it is a "mess" and needs to be redone, but a side view showing exactly how the drains are connected to the horizontal line and how the vents are connected and extended might change our thinking.

buzzard

Reaction score
ok. i added a side view. i have no illusions of ending up on the front cover of plumbers life. i know the drawings crude. i just wanna get an idea if im on the right track. will it work? will it work with some changes? am i misssing so much i have to buy a book? again any thoughts appreciated.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
ok. i added a side view. i have no illusions of ending up on the front cover of plumbers life. i know the drawings crude. i just wanna get an idea if im on the right track. will it work? will it work with some changes? am i misssing so much i have to buy a book? again any thoughts appreciated.

AM I MISSING SO MUCH I NEED TO BUY A BOOK??

Is this what the trade has been lowered to? you can go to home depot to learn how to plumb a house??

:confused::mad:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Whether that is a vent of the closet bend or not depends on where the definition for the bend starts. I have done it many times, as long as the vent is within the code's limitation from the toilet opening.The real problem is the washing machine with a trap under the floor and the vent off the washer's drain hose connection. And possibly the location of the floor drain relative to the washer's drain line.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Even if you want to do the work yourself and have it inspected, why not at least invest the $ to have a licensed plumber design your system for you?

Sounds like you're spending a lot of money as it is, this would be a minimal incremental cost and probably very wise decision. The time/frustration you'll save is more than worth it. Of course, I don't know if lots of plumbers will actually do this. Would seem a reasonable service to provide in this DIY culture.

My $0.02. I'm no plumber, but I can glue ABS together given a properly designed and well documented plan.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Whether that is a vent of the closet bend or not depends on where the definition for the bend starts. I have done it many times, as long as the vent is within the code's limitation from the toilet opening.The real problem is the washing machine with a trap under the floor and the vent off the washer's drain hose connection. And possibly the location of the floor drain relative to the washer's drain line.

According to the drawing the vent looks like it tie's in right after the 1/8" bend, which connects to the wye.

if it was properly installed, it would be a 4 x 2 wye and connect to a
4" comby, not a 4 x 4 wye as shown. and the closet flange would be out of the top of the 4 x 2 wye. no fittings installed between the 4 x 2 wye and the closet bend, only pipe.

there is an 1/8 bend in the picture, probably to bring it over to the 12" rough in, and this is illegal.

In my book, it is incorrect.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
I think thats what I am missing, there is a line on his first drawing, this is where I guess he is going to tie in a 4 x 2 wye and roll a vent up into the wall.

he will have to flat vent and roll his wye at 60 degrees and ideally install a c/o in that vent.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The real problem is the washing machine with a trap under the floor and the vent off the washer's drain hose connection. And possibly the location of the floor drain relative to the washer's drain line.

You might just be washing the floor with every load of wash.

buzzard

Reaction score
ok. i corrected the washer setup. eliminated the drain. i thought a basement drain was required by code. if it is. maybe i can run seperate like in drawing 1 with a vent. also i provided more detail on the basement toilet and how i proposed to do it so that i can get more clarity on how to do it right. i'm assuming i need that vent there somewhere. again appreciate your time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Y

If the "Y" for the toilet is not straight up, and you indicate that it is not, then a 45 will not work at the toilet. The angles will be wrong. A 45 only works if the Y is PERFECTLY vertical.

buzzard

Reaction score
me again. i just have to ask. i pestered a plumber at the job today ( im a bricklayer) and he took a look at my sketches and he said " the toilet, the lav and the shower dont need a vent. they are wet vented through the 4 in stack pipe that comes through the interior wall. he said to leave the vent for the washer." as for the drain he said "eliminate or vent and tap prime" so i just have to ask. is it that there is more than one way to skin a cat or do i really not need those vents. thanks again.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
me again. i just have to ask. i pestered a plumber at the job today ( im a bricklayer) and he took a look at my sketches and he said " the toilet, the lav and the shower dont need a vent. they are wet vented through the 4 in stack pipe that comes through the interior wall. he said to leave the vent for the washer." as for the drain he said "eliminate or vent and tap prime" so i just have to ask. is it that there is more than one way to skin a cat or do i really not need those vents. thanks again.

Depends on your code.

There is always multiple ways to do something, some are "legal" in some areas, and in other areas, they are not.

Some ways are correct, and others are not.

I would pay someone local to design the system for you. You will regret it in the end when you seal it all up and it does not work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks