Challenge routing kitchen sink vent around window

Users who are viewing this thread

codys

Reaction score
I have new construction and have planned my kitchen sink centered on a window. The bottom of the window (the sill) is meant to be set 4" above counter height or top of sink height.

Since the vent is supposed to go 6" above sink height before turning horizontally (or so I understand), I may have a problem -- that would put my vent pipe where the window is supposed to be.

Can the vent pipe run at a diagonal (sloped up at least 45 degrees) to avoid interfering with the window? Or can it be run two feet left or right of the centerline of the double kitchen sink to avoid the window (that would require a longer horizontal run from P-trap to drain)? Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vents can be routed almost any way necessary as long as the have an upward slope. Length is not a consideration.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

How about doing it right, not just the easy way? You an either run the vent on a 45, or even a 60 which is sometimes easier, or put the vent to the side of the window and arm over to the sink. It is done both ways.

codys

Reaction score
No Studers, but what about Code?

Thank you both for the quick useful replys. Studer valves (or atmospheric vents) are not legal in Wyoming (Natroan County), but that would ave made it easier.

My plumber claims the vent stack from p-trap to 6" above rim must be a vertical stack per code. I cannot see why from a physical standpoint and cannot find reference to this in code exerpts I have located. Can you say with authority that the 45 or 60 degree runs (upto 6" above rim)are fine?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The code says that to eliminate the possibility of water borne debris, due to a drain backup, obstructing the vent, it cannot be installed horizontally unless it is a minimum of 6" above the overflow rim of the fixture, but since the inspectors have no control over whether a kitchen sink, (36" high), might be connected at a future date, 42" has been established as the minimum height for a horizontal vent. A vent on a 45 or 60 degree angle has no possibility for debris to enter it and not "fall back out" when the water recedes so it is acceptable, and I have installed hundreds, if not thousands, of them this way. But since a 2'-3' "dirty arm" will be flushed by the sink usage, installing the drain and vent line next to the window and running a horizontal arm to the sink is also acceptable, and I have probably done as many installations this way as the former. Which of the two is done, and sometimes it is a combination of both, usually depends on where the drain connection to the main system will be and where the sink is located relative to it.

codys

Reaction score
Thanks for the great final answer

Thank you! Let's consider this issue closed.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on what code you use, here to run the vent below the window sill where it will not be 6" above the flood level rim of said sink, we can use long radius 90 turn/s for the vent if below the flood level rim, ask inspector if they allow what I just said.

Slope is not a factor here, vents can be run flat on the horizontal.

Again asking on line about a code related question, you will get many and they will all seem different.

Good Luck

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
if it works , and its code, then its right.

Doing it right is a matter of where you live , I guess.

Their are many ways to skin a cat.

To me , its just COMMON SENSE to skin the cat

as quickly and efficiently as possible in an attempt to

maximize profit on the job too.

Though, I suppose that a homeowner isnt really worried about profit,

but maybe his time could be valuable to him.

Spending the day drilling 1 1/2 holes through 2x4s to vent to something
doesent sound like fun to me, especially if it isnt necessary.

Auto air vents are code in most metro places like Denver Colorado and most of the Rockies., which is failry close to his location.

I also would guess if he went to the local Lowes in his area, they are available and are sold every day to unsuspecting customers, code or not.

eventually they will be considered legal throughout all 50 states because they work just fine.

I am not telling anyone to break the local codes, but dont make a project out of something that doesent have to be,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If a profit and saving loads of time are not a concern ,

why not thread 1 1/2 galvanized pipe ???

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Mark is correct that there are many ways to skin a cat. Sure the AAVs are allowed by most localities now, but code is the minimum standard. In my own house I have done extensive remodeling/renovation and have refused to use an AAV anywhere in it. It isnt that big of a deal (speaking for myself that is) to drill the 2-9/16" holes where needed and tie into a vent stack. AAVs do have their place in certain applications, but if the wall is already open and a vent was already planned, running the riser up by the window and arming over to the k/s just doesnt seem like something out of the ordinary.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It hardly takes any time to put in the needed holes. Maybe a minute or two.

And the little bit of pipe and fittings are less money than a Studor Vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
holes

Since he was talking about it taking a whole day, maybe he is using a brace and bit to drill them. But then, if he were Amish, he would not be trying to find a quick and dirty way to do it in the first place.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Amish plumber??

I never thought of that , they would probably not even use
normal electircal work tools either....

now that would really make the plumbing experience more of a manhood contest , wouldent it??

Perhaps I am just lazy. Perhaps I have drilled my fair share of KNOTS in wood and I have had to pull enough nails out of the way to build a house with.

Ever been jaw jacked and knocked off a ladder by a milwaukee drill when it caught a nail, ect??

It always seemed to me that whenever I had to drill holes through doubled up 2x4s it never failed that the absolute only place you could drill, some carpenter decided to sink an extra couple of nails , somehow he just knew to do it.

anyway , wether you do the absolute minimum or the maximum it still is going to function properly

its all just a matter of how much time , labor and materials you wish to sink into the project.

its just my personal choice how to get things done, maybe I am just getting older.....
call me lazy, call me half assed.... its ok with me.

the stuff still flows down hill either way.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Pipe

"cut and thread 1 1/2" galvanized pipe? What does that have to do with this subject?"
I think he means that if time is not an issue, why not run the vent in Durham and gal. I have a friend who actually did that a couple of years ago. Not being totally crazy, he took the easy way below floor and ran no-hub rather than lead and oakum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks