Capping off old sewer pipe inside house

Users who are viewing this thread

natemac

Reaction score
We have an uncapped old sewer line in our basement that was walled in by the previous owners. We only know this because when we had a plumber out to snake our sewer line (for tree roots), they accidentally sent the snake in the wrong way and managed to pull out some insulation. When they sent the camera in to look we found a pipe filled with insulation and when he pushed the camera farther through we were looking at 2x4's and walls. We know basically where the problem is but it will require tearing out walls in my downstairs finished bathroom.

My question is, once I find the uncapped pipe, can I just put a regular pipe cap on it or do I need some special cap to keep the sewer gases from building up? Thanks for any help!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have one of those in my basement. I just use a rubber cap that looks like a fernco.

Like this:
6782478.jpg

My line was left uncapped for years. It didn't smell. Hate to think how blocked it must have been. I'll soon find out when I finish the basement.

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The "gem" cap style will work but I prefer to use the cast iron hard caps with no-hub bands if the piping is cast and clue-on caps if plastic...
The rubber ones do deteriorate and crack over time....

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Use a Blind Plug, cast iron, and a no hub cplg.

I would not use a rubber jim cap or fernco because a cable cutter will penetrate it and you will be back to square one.

Also, I would never bury anything rubber like a cap in the wall anyways.

If you want it solved forever, use a cast blnd plug and no hub torqued to 60 lbs:D

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure what code you go by but you're not allowed to just put a cap on the pipe because that constitutes a "dead end" which is not allowed in IPC. I would punch a hole through the wall and continue the pipe outside with a cleanout cap to make a cleanout. You already have a root problem so look for solutions to solve futrure problems. Next time the plumber could use this cleanout to access your entire line, even under the house.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Not sure what code you go by but you're not allowed to just put a cap on the pipe because that constitutes a "dead end" which is not allowed in IPC. I would punch a hole through the wall and continue the pipe outside with a cleanout cap to make a cleanout. You already have a root problem so look for solutions to solve futrure problems. Next time the plumber could use this cleanout to access your entire line, even under the house.

Hello Ben!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks