(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Don't use extension cord for freezer?

Default Don't use extension cord for freezer?

We bought a new upright freezer. With where we're wanting to put it, we need to use an extension cord. The maintenance man who works at my wife's workplace told her that using an extension cord for our freezer would mess up the motor.

That makes no sense to me, is there anything to that?

The point is this: the freezer is a large current draw when the compressor starts and runs. The typical cord you might use is too small gauge. It would cause voltage drop....bad for the motor; and might get hot....bad for your insurance policy. If you must use an extension cord, get the shortest one you can find, and I would get perferably a 12 guage cord. Absolute minimum acceptable would be 14 guage. DO NOT use a 16 or 18 guage cord.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The point is this: the freezer is a large current draw when the compressor starts and runs. The typical cord you might use is too small gauge. It would cause voltage drop....bad for the motor; and might get hot....bad for your insurance policy. If you must use an extension cord, get the shortest one you can find, and I would get perferably a 12 guage cord. Absolute minimum acceptable would be 14 guage. DO NOT use a 16 or 18 guage cord.
    Ahh, thanks. So basically I need to just use a good grade of cord. And I do understand what the gauges are. Thanks!

Maybe it would be better to find a new place to put it rather than take a risk. I found out you can't have everything you want in life, sometimes, just as good as it gets; but, it sure beats the heck out of a fire. I wouldn't run a freezer on an extension cord. Period. One never knows.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Wire gauge is analogous to the diameter of the wire used - this relates to how easily electricity can flow through the wires. Compare a soda straw verses a fire hose.

Keep in mind that each time you make a connection, it could decrease the ability for the elecricity to flow, so adding a couple of new connections might diminish the ability of the cord to pass electricity unrestricted. So, it is important to use both good quality, and a cord with a large enough conductor. You are trying to prevent the restriction of flow of electricity and eliminate possible interruptions (as might be caused by a poorly designed or sized plug).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Also, Bear in mind it may void your warranty. Alot of appliance manufacturers refuse to cover any appliance that is not plugged directly into the socket. Make sure to check the manual or contact the manufacturer on that issue.

The biggest problem is that the extension cord will eventually break down, and could possible start a fire, I would much rather see you install a new receptacle near the freezer than run a cord.

Chris,

That is the perfect solution! It is so much safer. Amazing, I would not had thought of it, lol. I would had been moving that freezer around, until it hit the curb. I vote on this one, new outlet, you must be a genius,

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Chris,

That is the perfect solution! It is so much safer. Amazing, I would not had thought of it, lol. I would had been moving that freezer around, until it hit the curb. I vote on this one, new outlet, you must be a genius,

Nope, just an electrician...