Preference for solder and flux?

Users who are viewing this thread

George R

Reaction score
I was wondering what some of the professional plumbers on this site prefer in the way of flux and solder. I'm just a DIYer but I seem to do a fair amount of sweating pipe for friends and relatives. I very rarely have a bad joint but some just seem to flow smoother than others and end up looking much neater.

I understand the the basics, like clean, clean, clean the pipe and fitting, and heat the fitting, not the pipe. But never really thought about the flux and solder much. I seem to buy small quantities for the job at hand, and sometimes it goes smooth as silk and other times it just doesn't seem to flow well (although I rarely get a bad joint.)

So the question is: WHAT DO THE PROS PREFER IN THE WAY OF SOLDER AND FLUX?

Jrejre

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but have done enough soldering to have some preference. No preference on solder - well, I actually liked it better (for soldering anyway) when it had a little lead in it. Now, any lead-free solder. I guess I usually get Oatey 95/5 or 97/3

I buy Nokorode flux paste flux.

Just my 2 cents.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen a scientific evaluation of fluxes. Every plumber SWEARS by the one he uses. I like the #95 tinning flux. Some people hate it.

I suggest buying a small tin of several; do some practice soldering and see how each reacts to your technique, and which one gives you the best job. You could even bandsaw some fittings in half after to see if any gave better penetration.

George R

Reaction score
Solder and flux

Thanks guys for the responses. I have tried the nokorode and #5. Just bought a tin of #95 a few weeks ago based on someones suggestion on this forum (don't remember who, maybe jimbo or rio) and used it once. Can't say I have a strong preference for any of the above.

I'll look for the bridget and silvabrite.

Thanks again for the responses.

jimmie

Reaction score
solder

bridget is my choice..be aware though it's silver solder, and costs quite a bit more than regular 95/5. The nice thing about it is it heats at a lower temp, flows real nice, and leaves a nice cast. I dont think honestly, I have ever had a bad joint with it. Also I agree on the nokorode..it's just good stuff.

TheLink

Reaction score
I like the silver solder. Flows like the old 50-50 but without the lead. As for flux, I like the water soluble type. Don't get this on your hands and be sure to wipe off the joint and flush out the pipe as soon as possible. I find when I use other types of flux it can take months before the water stops tasting like the flux. The difference in cost is nothing if you look at it compared to the cost of the plumbing.

Sparks98

Electrician
Reaction score
Pros here had me use Utility flux with AquaPure solder. Made a world of a difference. Utility is self-cleaning, so you don't have to clean the copper pipe before you solder. I always DO clean it first, but I know a few guys who claim they NEVER clean it when they use Utility and never had a bad joint. I can't find AquaPure, but the supply house sold me some 100% Watersafe by Canfield. We'll see how I like that.

CaptWally

Reaction score
I swear by Oatey #95 Tinning Flux used with a quality solder and make sure your pipes are DRY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks