Help! Pumping sand from well

Users who are viewing this thread

IHOP

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently purchased a home which had an old well. The well was not producing much water flow so I decided to dig it up. I found it had a 3 inch casing with a 3/4 poly pipe drop tube. Turns out the metal elbow was almost corroded shut. While I had the well dug up I put a few bottles of well restore and blasted it out with an air compressor (160psi) at the bottom. After doing that I replaced the drop pipe with 1.5 pvc. The original pipe went down 21' but I put the new pipe down 23'. I get great flow 30GPM but the water has sand in it and it is messing up my sprinklers. Is there any way to stop the sand? I was thinking of digging it back up and installing a well screen. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Paul

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have never heard of Well Restore, but it sounds like it did something. Possibly ate the casing. Maybe this is where the sand is coming from.

You did good by getting rid of the 3/4" pipe and going bigger, try pumping it till it clears. It may or not do so, but it's worth a try. Since this Well Restore opened something up down there, it may take a while to develop the well back to a sand free condition. If the water level is less than 25 feet, you could use a Centrifugal Pump to pump it off, it won't agitate near as much as the air and give it a better chance to clear.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

IHOP

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do have a centrifugal pump on there and I am getting 30GPM open flow and about 18gpm ant 45psi which is plenty for my sprinkler setup. I had the pump running for quite some time, 5 hours or so, and the sand has gotten less but still hasn’t stopped. I dug up the well again and I am going to try adding a 5' 1&1/2 PVC well screen to the bottom of my drop tube. I am hoping this will stop the sand flow. I think the well screen on the 3" casing is probably shot being over 50 years old.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The screen may stop the sand from getting to the pump, but it won't keep the well from filling up with sand until it starts covering the screen and slows down the water flow.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks